Getting Ready To Get My First Gpsr

92 Green YJ

Well my Mom agreed to get me a GPS for my birthday and I have been poking around. I want something versatile that i can use in my hand, in my Jeep, and on my Motorcycle. I have been doing some searching around the net and came across the Garmin Etrex line. after a bit more poking, I came across the Legend. does anyone have one or has used one? what do you think of it. I like the fact that it has 8mb of memory and a backlit screen. I will be going cross country this summer and doing alot of wheeling at the major offroad areas, and when i get more towards the western end of the country, I want to take as many dirt roads as humanly possible. I want to go through all the old ghost towns and stuff like that. I also want to do alot of cache hunting along the way.

you think this unit will do what i want? and what map software would i want to get for it. anything else i should consider? thoughts, ideas, opinions>??

What other units should I be looking at or considering?

Here are my basic requirements: (that i know of. I'm new to this)

1. Versatile. I plan to use it in hand, in my Wrangler, and on my motorcycle

2. Waterproof would be nice

3. Backlit screen

4. Some way to hook it up to a Mac ibook running OSX Panther for downloading where i've been (running record of my trip) and uploading where i am going, etc.

what else should I be looking for in a unit? Also what other software should i be looking at getting for it, accessories, etc.?

I am also going to be taking along my iBook with my 40 Gig external Hard Drive for keeping a daily journal, and downloading my digital camera onto every day.

Sorry for the length of the post, and TIA for any help, opinions, suggestions, or advice you can offer.

I've been using a Legend for over a year now, and have been very happy with it. It's (IMHO) the best entry-level unit out there, with enough features to keep you going for quite some time. A few downsides, only 8mb of internal memory. If you want to upload Mapsource maps to it, you may find that you run out of room quickly. There is a known defect wich affects some units: The ribbon cable connnecting the display to the rest of the unit may become partially unseated and require a trip back to Garmin for a fix-up. On the plus side, Garmin is recognized as having excellent customer service! In short, if you do get one, I doubt very muc that you will regret it. You might 'outgrow' it eventually, but you will most likely be happy with it!

That sounds like an awesome trip!!! swing by south MS and pick me up!! :D

I just got my first GPSr also, my dad and I went in half on it. I decided on the new GPSMap 60C. It seems like the best GPS available. 56 Mb for maps, autorouting, WAAS, waterproof. plus many more features check it out at garmin's website.

I too am using Panther, on an iMac, the Garmin Mapsource is not os X compatible, but there is a petition to get garmin to produce OS X software. I will post a link later today for it. As for getting maps into the GPS from your ibook, the only was is virtual PC. This is quite an expensive program. Other programs to get the waypoints back and forth, are out there for OS X, I have not used any yet, so I can not give too much advice on those, try going to version tracker and looking for gps, if you have an airport card, a great utility to pick up wireless HotSpots is Kismac(it maps also). It is a.... email me and I will tell you, too long and off topic for these boards!!

You will not be dissapointed with the 60C! I haven't been at all. You can email me at

Heidingsfelderp at bellsouth.net for question on virtual PC and the Kismac.

Someone should start a Mac section on the boards, or a FAQ for OS X software....

Hope this helps!

I am a Magellan fan, and I have a Meridian Gold. As far as street routing and map space, it is great, because it can take SD cards which can hold a HUGE amount of data. Direct Route works great for street routing. If you need Topo maps though, I have heard the Magellan maps leave something to be desired. Overall, though, I love it the Meridian series.

I've been using a Legend for over a year now, and have been very happy with it. It's (IMHO) the best entry-level unit out there, with enough features to keep you going for quite some time. A few downsides, only 8mb of internal memory. If you want to upload Mapsource maps to it, you may find that you run out of room quickly. There is a known defect wich affects some units: The ribbon cable connnecting the display to the rest of the unit may become partially unseated and require a trip back to Garmin for a fix-up. On the plus side, Garmin is recognized as having excellent customer service! In short, if you do get one, I doubt very muc that you will regret it. You might 'outgrow' it eventually, but you will most likely be happy with it!

I've "outgrown" mine and put an order in for a 60C. I was planning on selling my legend on Ebay to help payoff the 60c, but I can't sell it I love it so much hehe. Think I will use it for a backup unit. Time to start training my stepdaughter on its uses