Garmin Rhino

Cave Rat

I'm getting to old to carry a large backpack, so I now use a Lama as a pack animial-They are not the smartest animial in the world ;) - and spook easy- :D My question-If I have two Garmin Rhinos, can I place one on the Lama and use it to track and find him if he runs away with my camping gear? Also can you upload topo maps to the Rhino or is it just an etrex basic unit with a radio?

In theory, yes. There is a polling function, so you don't have to train your llama to hit the talk button. Personally, I'd track my llama with APRS....if I had a llama....which I don't....but I just like saying llama.

The RINO 120 has mapping ability. The RINO 110 does not.

FYI:

A one-L lama is a holy man.

A two-L llama is an animal.

A three-L lllama is a really big fire.

George

The 110 is like a basic Etrex. The 120 will take 8 megs of TOPO.

Some one told me that the 120's will poll each other. I saw this feature on the new 130 and asked about it.

The polling feature calls other Rinos on your friend list and get their coords.

I havn't used this feature. I only know of one person with another Rino. I didn't get to play with all the features last I saw him.

Yes to both. You will need two rhino's and the right level to get maps. There is also a 130 now.

There is a thread buried in these forums about how a father gave his daughter a car. He hid in the car with his rhino (the Llama) while the daugheter looked for 'something' while using her rhino.

You do have to make sure that the Llama's rhino is set up correctly for you to track it, keep it on, and keep it from being knocked off.

If I have two Garmin Rhinos, can I place one on the Lama and use it to track and find him if he runs away with my camping gear?

Yes, as long as he doesn't run out of FRS radio range, and you have the current firmware that supports polling. You should be able to put a Rino 110 on the mule and then use a 120 or 130 for yourself. The mule doesn't need the maps.