Geocache For Kayakers?

Xena

There's a local river near me with a number of shoreline caches on the river. Hopefully this summer, I'll get out there in my boat and paddle the river, nabbing caches as I go.

Floating caches? Sounds like it'd be visible. You'd have to be sure it wouldn't be plundered.

You look pretty new, and have a good idea. I'd advise spending some time floating the idea around your head and finding some boat-access caches to get a feel for hiding techniques before you decide to hide your own. Keep it up.

Jamie

I'm thinking about a floating geocache on the ocean near where I row and kayak. I can put my CF #'s on it which I think will make it CoastGuard legal like a crab trap. Any thoughts? :o

Concealment would need to be factored into your cache idea, you don't want your cache being vulnerable to plundering.

Good Questions on Kayakers cache.

CF #'s are license plate numbers for motorized boats. Usually you can mark a mooring or trap with a buoy with your #'s on it.

This would probably have to be a seasonal cache, as nearly everything (including the kelp beds and people's boats) ends up on shore in the winter.

I would anchor it with some heavy, but removeable metal object like a wheel hub. I have a motor boat to maintain it with. An actual crab trap is a good idea, but I wouldn't want to inadvertantly teach kayakers to go pulling up people's traps! Fishermen frown on this and often carry guns. I'd want my float to be something like a small (12in) plastic boat like kayak co's use for display. The problem I'm thinking about now is how to sink down the cache without having people pull up the entire "anchor".

Thanks for the responses, this is fun! I've never "chatted" before.

Xena

Xena,

How about if you make it a multi? Then you can just put the coordinates on the "kayak" and have the actual cache on shore. No problem with cachers pulling up the anchor, they just need to look at what is written on whatever you end up floating there, beach their boat, and walk over to the cache.

RichardMoore