Suggestions For Event Cache

Cadea

I'm hoping to organize an Event Cache in the next couple of months in Connecticut, and, being relatively new to this whole thing :mad: wanted to ask some of you "veterans" :unsure: what has made for an especially fun or memorable Event Cache in the past (keep it PG-13, if possible) :mad:

Well,

I've been to quite a few events and I can tell you this; the events that have too much going on I don't really care for. The reason is if you put on an event and have 12 caches for everyone to be out doing there is little time for socializing. When it comes to events I prefer to do the meet and greet thing and hang out with fellow cachers and share stories.

So what I'm saying is plan something but not too much.

Well,

I've been to quite a few events and I can tell you this; the events that have too much going on I don't really care for. The reason is if you put on an event and have 12 caches for everyone to be out doing there is little time for socializing. When it comes to events I prefer to do the meet and greet thing and hang out with fellow cachers and share stories.

So what I'm saying is plan something but not too much.

This day just gets weirder and weirder. UMC and I share the same opinion here. (Whoda thunkt?) I almost never do the extra caches. I would rather hang out and drink with my friends. I can always go cachin some other time.

Sn :unsure::mad: gans

BTW- Sax, that other thread is soooo last Tuesday..... :mad:

Yes, TOO many activities does detract a bit from the socializing aspect. The more successful events we've had here have had minimal activities. A cache-dash with a gift certificate in it has been fun, as well as some special hidden caches, but I wouldn't recommend planning the whole day out in advance as you'll likely not get as much participation.

Not saying to do nothing, but don't worry about planning the whole itinerary. :lol:

Good luck.

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Snoogans :D or something like that...... :D

Even weirder. You are soooo right.

I gave away around 60 door prizes, at my event last Saturday. Prizes ranging from a delux barbeque accessory set, a sealed pack of Iraq's Most Wanted cards, a bottle of champagne, an FTF prize, to candy and gum, blank log books, McToys, and even a dirty golf ball. (You know, stuff you find in caches.) I made up this elaborate geocaching card game. I threw in some twists and turns like steal cards and DNF's. I created a simulated caching experience of sorts. I mainly wanted everyone there to get a chance to win a prize. Well, It took for freakin ever to play. I'll do it again at another event, but with way less. A lesson learned.

Sn :lol::P gans

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Sounds like "less is better" is the trend, and I can definitely deal with "less" :lol: Sounds like Snoogans put a ton of effort into planning that event (wish I had gotten out there for it!!!), but it's good to hear that everyone can have a ball w/out a ton of extra activities.

merci, gracias, thanks y'all

No frills can be good too. (This isn't rocket surgery. :lol: )

My first two hosted events were outdoor BYO's. (Bring your own) They were great fun and all we did was talk geocaching for a few hours and trade some TB's. I was on the road and it was nice to meet cachers from other groups. (Sax was a big help on the second one even though he DNF'd it.)

Sn :P:D gans

I organized an event this past summer. I made it about 2 things. Eating and caching. Everyone seemed pretty happy with that. Don't get too carried away. The idea is for cachers to meet, grab some caches, trade some stories and eat. I had a couple of give aways and hid some nice easy caches around the picnic area for the kids to find as well. That's about it. Next time I will do a little more, like maybe get a sponsor or 2 so we can have a few more give aways and put more money toward food and drinks. Lot's of luck, keep us posted I'm just South of you on LI so I'll try and make it myself.