How Long Shoud I Wait

webscouter.

My son 6-String Scout and I created a cache container for his boss CCDawg for a Christmas present. It was intended for him to hide the cache. We hid it for him with a USA Geocoin in it to find instead of just giving it to him. He liked our hid so much that it was left right were we put it. How long should I wait until I can log it to get it off my list?

Look for Knarley Kache Dude

Its up to you.

I only count the log in the logbook at the FTF because of when someone logs the cache online it can vary whether the first to find online is going to be the same as who signed the logbook first.

I helped with a cache but it was under the others cachers username so once it came up online I logged it as found to take it off of my cache page. I made it very clear in my log that the only reason I was logging it as found was to get it off of my cache page and that I'm not FTF and all that stuff. Just make it clear in the log.

My son 6-String Scout and I created a cache container for his boss CCDawg for a Christmas present. It was intended for him to hide the cache. We hid it for him with a USA Geocoin in it to find instead of just giving it to him. He liked our hid so much that it was left right were we put it. How long should I wait until I can log it to get it off my list?

Look for Knarley Kache Dude

Thats up to you, there are those who say "How can you find a cache you hid"?

most people do not claim finds on caches they hide, some do. Its just a game so its up to you.

Edited by CO Admin

Thats up to you, there are those who say "How can you find a cache you hid"?

most people do not claim finds on caches they hide, some do. Its just a game so its up to you.

I'll agree with CO (scary).

I would never consider logging a find on a cache that I hid, because if I hid it, I didn't really find it, did I?

I've probably got 20 caches that I've helped hide, but aren't listed as being owned by my primary caching account. Many were hidden together with friends, and my girlfriend and I even have a seperate account for our team hides. I've never logged a find on any of them. As your find numbers go up, and you start caching lots of different areas, you worry less and less about getting one off the list. If use the pocket quiries, you probably don't even LOOK at the list on the website anymore. As far as finding goes for me, it's all done with the PQs. I run them through Watcher, which hides any caches placed by our team account, and any others I've flagged to ignore. Out of sight, out of mind. :unsure:

They arent in my PDA, they aren't in my GPS, they aren't pushpins on my mapping software, and they aren't listed when I'm planning caches in Watcher.

This is what works for me, it's really up to you if you feel comfortable claiming a find for it vs getting it off a list.

Edited by Mopar
Hey, you took the time to put it together and hide it for the other cacher, go ahead and log it. If it bothers you just post a note and thank him for leaving it in the spot you chose. One more smiley face on your cache list isn't going to win you any prizes.

Nor will one less smiley lose you any prizes, so I guess it comes down to morals. If you feel it's right to pretend to find something you didn't, log it. If not, don't.

Note: If your goal is just to take it off your list, I think Jeremy made a comment about adding "ignore this cache" functionality in the future.

Which basicly means you could either

1) wait

2) log it as a find now and remove the find later should the functionality appear

3) just log it and get it over with.

Whichever you prefer is cool with me (like that matters).

Hey, you took the time to put it together and hide it for the other cacher, go ahead and log it. If it bothers you just post a note and thank him for leaving it in the spot you chose. One more smiley face on your cache list isn't going to win you any prizes.

Nor will one less smiley lose you any prizes, so I guess it comes down to morals. If you feel it's right to pretend to find something you didn't, log it. If not, don't.

Sometimes a little extra effort on the part of a cacher deserves a find. Other than that, it is up to their own morals and the cache owner who has the right to delete any find on their cache.

Sometimes a little extra effort on the part of a cacher deserves a find. Other than that, it is up to their own morals and the cache owner who has the right to delete any find on their cache.

I'm usually happy that my name is listed up there as one of the hiders, even if it doesn't link back to my profile. I agree in the end it's up to the cache owner to maintain the integrity of the logs, but in the case of group hides, do you REALLY think a family member or friend is going to delete your log?

Again, it's up to the indavidual person where their morals lie. Everyon's different. Some people think its perfectly acceptible to cheat in school. The logic I've heard for it makes perfect sense. The better grade you get, the better college you go to. The better the school, the better the job. Once you got the job, nobody jives a rats arse what your grades were in school. Makes perfect sense to me. I still didn't cheat in school.

It's just a game, do what you think is best for you.

I've got something like 2,400 unfound caches on my nearest page. Can I log a find on all of them to get them off the list?

Sure, all you need is to convince all the cache owners that you should be allowed to log the find. If I recall, sometimes saying you were where the cache should have been is good enough.

I've got something like 2,400 unfound caches on my nearest page. Can I log a find on all of them to get them off the list?

Sure, all you need is to convince all the cache owners that you should be allowed to log the find. If I recall, sometimes saying you were where the cache should have been is good enough.

Well, I normally don't log a find for finding where the cache WAS, either. I guess if I show I put a little effort into finding them, then thats good enough. :lol: