Gps Satellite Eclipse?

Here's a nice theoretical one for you...

Looking at the logarithmic map of the universe I notice that the GPS constellation is much higher than a lot of satellites, the ISS and Hubble. So, theoretically, one of these lower objects could eclipse the signal from a GPS satellite if they happened to line up for a time.

Anyone want to make a guess as to:

a) The probability of an obstruction.

:) The size of the footprint.

c) The duration of the obstruction.

I can't imagine this would affect the use of GPS in any way - my guess is a one in a million chance of losing a single satellite for a fraction of a second.

Numbers, anyone?

I don't think you would be able to detect such an eclipsing event.

There is another 'game' people play with the satellites, I can not remember the name off hand (or the link) [someone help us out here].

The sun will reflect light off the satellites to certain parts of the earth. This is a predictable event and only lasts a minute or so and if you are looking in the right part of the sky at the right time, you can catch it. Great for impressing friends...

Edited by Doc-Dean

not to get too far OT.. but the kids love anything to do with the sky, so we look for iridium flares and other sattelite sightings. the heavens above site is great.

as for the eclipse.. since i normally bag 4-6 strong sats at a time.. one shouldn't bother me too much.

i'd be curious how much area would be affected, but i don't think anyone would even notice.

robbie