Geocaching Lingo

Nebrcacher

I'm new to the sport so forgive my questions, but I'm curious about correct lingo here. Is a person sho participates in this sport called a geocacher?

A person who places a cache, are they called a cache placer, cache owner, or perhaps a cache-master?

Do you say, "I'm going cache hunting," or "I'm going geocaching." How about, "I'm going to look for a cache?"

Is geocaching truly a sport, or a hobby?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Nebrcacher

Thanks in advance.

I have heard geocaching refered to as;

Sport

Hobby

obsession

addiction

I think it's all about how you do it. For the cacher who hits 5 or 10 backcountry caches in a single weekend, sport would probably apply. For the cacher who with less ambition it might be a hobby. I have dreams about hiding or finding geocaches, so obsession would probably apply. I have heard of cachers who go into a cold sweat after two or three day without a cache fix, addiction.

I'm new to the sport so forgive my questions, but I'm curious about correct lingo here.  Is a person sho participates in this sport called a geocacher? 

A person who places a cache, are they called a cache placer, cache owner, or perhaps a cache-master?

Do you say, "I'm going cache hunting," or "I'm going geocaching."  How about, "I'm going to look for a cache?"

Thanks in advance.

I guess it is up to you but I say I am a geocacher. A person who places a cache, I would call the hider or cache placer and the person who finds the cache the finder or seeker. I usually say i'm going geocaching then wait for the strange looks if they have not heard of it. In my opinion geocaching is both a hobby and a sport, if I had to call it one or the other I would say it is a sport.

Do you say, "I'm going cache hunting," or "I'm going geocaching." How about, "I'm going to look for a cache?"

Heh, I usually say 'I'm leaving the house' or, 'I'm going to the store', or 'I'm headed to work', etc =)

Seriously though, in our family we refer to it as 'caching'... IE 'Hey kids... wanna go caching?'

-bjs539

Edited by bjs539