Turning a Laptop into a GPSr

magking1971

Will using one or both of these help turn my laptop into a GPSr?

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/6056.1.1...663/oem18usbgps

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/57128.1....270compactflash

I am not so good at the computer lingo (computard) and don't know if I am going in the right direction with this or not.

I just want to use my laptop for driving and getting around.

Thanks for the help.

Go with DeLorme if you want an easy (true plug & play) setup. While not readily suited to really portable use (like an eTrex), it offers a great way to travel with a great GPS and using a large screen for map/data display. I have been using their Street Atlas and TripMate GPS unit for several years and have yet to find any problems with either the program or the GPS. Another advantage of the laptop/GPS setup is that you can do other stuff while navigating. When on the road, driver and navigator can do other useful stuff on the computer, such as studying ACLS :mad: .

The better news (for me, anyway) is that my wife, the lovely and gracious (JeepChick) Sherry, gave me a DeLorme EarthMate GPS to use while traveling. I will be testing it during the next few days on trips around the area. The TripMate will be available for sale soon.

Street Atlas 2004 appears to be an improvement over the SA 2003; seems to run smoother and has a bunch of new data as well.

That DeLorme sounds like just what I need, thank you much!!

Today just may be your lucky day! By chance, I happen to live just down the road from you (I think) and I happened to get the DeLorme EarthMate outfit for Christmas. I was thinking I needed it for my PPC, but once I got it, I realized, I need a power source and another cable to get it to work with the PPC. I was gonna take it back, but if you're interested, I'll sell it to you and I can avoid them crowds in Spokane. E-mail me or respond here to let me know what ya think..........Wiz