Beginner GPS Unit

wdrkb

I started with the Garmin eTrex yellow and had no problems with it. It is a great simple to use unit, inexpensive, and what I feel would be a good introduction to using a GPS. You can always upgrade later if you want. I now use a Garmin Geko 201, which is almost the same as the eTrex yellow, but has a better signal and is smaller. I didn't want all the whistles and bells, so this is perfect for me.

Hope this helps!

If geocaching is all that you'll want to do with your GPSr, then yes - the yellow Etrex would be fine. If you'll ever go anywhere and want to use your GPSr to help you, then you'll probably want to consider another unit. The Etrex Legend has 8MB of memory which you can use to upload maps. Topo maps will help you as you're hiking - MetroGuide maps will search addresses, find nearest fast food restaurants, pharmacies, museums and much, much more! Be advised that I have found the Legend's 8MB to be too small to hold all of the Washington, DC area's Metroguide maps. If you think you might want the mapping ability and might use it in a big city environment, then you'll probably want to go with the Etrex Vista which has 21MB of memory. The Vista also has a built-in electronic compass and barometric altimeter - both of which eat battery power. If you think you might want to take your GPSr on an airplane, then you might consider an eMap. Although this unit's production has been discontinued by Garmin, they're still available on eBay and other fine places where GPSrs are sold. The reason I like this unit is that it has expandable memory up to 128MB. That allows me to upload MetroGuide maps from New York to Florida. It also has an external antenna connection - I use that feature to hook up an antenna to the window of an airplane when I fly. If you fly with a Legend, you'll have to hold it up to the window the whole time (which gets very tiresome after the first half hour). If you want your GPSr to actually show you how to get somewhere, then consider the GPS V. That unit has a feature called "autorouting". It will look at the internal map data and determine the best route to go turn-by-turn. The StreetPilot III is a unit that does the same thing and has expanable memory AND does it all in living color!!! That one goes for about $500 to $700 depending on how and where you buy it (eBay vs. new in a store).

(Can you tell I'm a little partial to Garmin products?)

Keep in mind that you cannot upgrade GPSrs! You can only replace them (return/exchange/buy another). That can be expensive depending on your situation.

Also, keep in mind that the new GPSMAP® 60C is coming very soon. This is considered by many to be the closest thing to "The Perfect GPSr"! You may very well be interested in getting this one yourself. If not, keep in mind that when they do come out, there's gonna be lots of used Legends, Vistas, eMaps and GPSrs of all kinds on eBay at very low prices :mad:

Can anyone recommend a GPS unit for a beginner?

Depending on what features you want and how much you want to pay, almost any unit will do. You can't go wrong with anything made by Garmin or Magellin, but I would avoid the Garmin Geko 101 as you can't upload/download waypoints. The incremental price increase to get that feature is well worth it.