Sportrak Color Software

Jerry 92RR

Wife bought it for me for Christmas and I actually was going to get the Meridian Color but here I am. With 23meg just exactly how big of a city or cities can I load before it's full?

Any ways around the 100 bucks for the topo map? Burning someone else's?

Or should I just take it back and get the Meridian color?

Jerry Reno, NV (incase there is someone willing to sell a burned copy of software)

With Mapsend Topo, all of Maryland, including DC, takes only 4 meg. Central Florida, including Melbourne, Tampa, Orlando and Daytona also only takes 4 meg. Mapsend DirectRoute of Central Florida takes 20meg and 14 meg for Maryland/DC. I have a Meridian with a 64mb card and I keep the DirectRoute of FL and MD along with Mapsend S&D of the entire state of Florida. With all that said, I think 23 meg is more than enough for someone's local driving area.

JetSkier

Edited by JetSkier

You can pick up MapSend Topo for cheaper; I just saw that it's $70 on Amazon.

However, if you want autorouting, think about DirectRoute. No topo information, but the street information is more accurate. The maps run larger (in file size) for a given area in DirectRoute compared to Topo, though you can still get cood coverage in 23MB.

The SporTrack Color is a very nice unit; I understand the display is nicer than the MeriColor. It depends how you use your GPS, but the way I use mine I wouldn't want to give up the expandable memory of my Meridian. I never thought I would outgrow the 64MB card I have, but I think DirectRoute is going to move me up a notch. I like both the Topo and DirectRoute maps on my card; I wouldn't have the luxory of that with the SporTrack.

I like the expandable memory concept more than the 23mb of hard drive. Is there that big of a difference in topo vs droute? Are the maps missing detail that serious? I can assume the topo is for hiking and exploring? I like to go offroad )in a truck) but I really like to go new places and have an idea of where the hell I am. I now have to figure out how to use the 'retrace' and save route capabilities of the unit.

Jerry

On my collection of geek stuff (link below) there are screen captures that graphically show typical region size for the 6,8, and 128MB units. You can extrapolate the 23 from there.

There are also docs that talk about DirectRoute. Like Embra, DirectRoutes' additional size pushed me up a notch in memory card and that's an option I have with only the Merdian.

As I mention at the bottom of my review, I'm bummed that I need both Topo AND DirectRoute.