How Did You Get Started Geocaching?

Northern Trekker

After looking at several Metal Detectors for several months I had just purchased a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger. My son-in-law asked me “Now that you have a new metal detector are you going to go geocaching?” I of course said what most people say “What is geocaching?” He replied “Go to www.geocaching.com.” which I did. I found a few caches listed that were close to me. Knowing the location good enough, I found my first cache without a GPS/r. I then went back home and borrowed a gps/r from a friend that said he had found no use for the toy. After locating 3 more caches the next day I was hooked. Since then I have added more gps/rs and related accessories to my collection and have visited places with my family that I would have probably never went to without being involved in the sport. I have had the pleasure of meeting several geocahers. Most tell me they feel the same way about going places.

I have both Magellan Platinum and a Garmin 76S. I do enjoy this sport and it is less costly than some things I have done for relaxation. I still have the Metal Detector but use my GPS things lots more. I have even used the Metal Detector to help find the cache in heavy grass cover. :o

Edited by Contryguy

I had just bought a GPS unit right when SA was turned off. As I often do these days when I have an interest in something, I started hanging out in the only GPS newsgroup that was on Usenet at the time, news:sci.geo.satellite-nav and it turned out that someone very soon had an idea similar to what I was thinking at the time: hiding something and using a GPS to find it! Since it happened out in California, I couldn't take part in it.

Soon afterwards, this web site was anounced in the newsgroup and I joined in and started posting to the message board. Life being what it is, I was very active here at first and my registration was dropped. Because of that, I'm shown as having registered much later on. No big deal, but it would have been nice to still be known as one of the early memebers.

Now I just need more time to cache again.

(edited to correct the clickable link)

<second edit>

DRAT! The forum software insists on putting the http:// on a link, which doesn't always work on the Internet! You'll have to copy and paste it into your browser.

</second edit>

Edited by Lone Duck

I was surfin the net late one saturday night,when I stumbled upon a remark about a little known sport called geocaching.After doing some searches I hollered at the better half " Now I really do need that gps I knew I wanted but just wasnt sure why I wanted it till now ;) ,I reasoned that if I ran to walmart right now and bought it (so thats why walmart is open 24-7),I could figure out how to use it and program itand bein the woods sunday afternoon....The rest is history as they say :blink: .