Science Class Needs GPS Units

express

Hi I'm in a Science class that is about to teach GPS. My teacher needs some GPS units though.

Here is the list of specs that she sent me:

Good reception in tree coverage when hiking

Long battery life

ability to upload maps

ability to connect to computer

12 channels

500 way points.

waterproof

about $100.00 retail.

Need 15 units.

If anyone knows where I can get a unit with these specs could you contact me? ether by replying here or at pdoexpress(at)myrealbox(dot)com

I would get on the web for Garmin and the other brands out there. Tell them you exactly what you are looking for and explain to them it is for educational purposes. You might get a pretty good deal on 15 of them. Probably better than you will ever get at any store.

murph

Just off the top of my head, the eTrex Legend is the lowest Garmin model that can upload topos from the computer to the GPSr. If you only need to download files from the GPS to the computer, the eTrex Yellow can do that for $99, but you have to buy a seperate cable.

My unit, the GPSMAP76S, is great for mapping and does everything you need. But the lowest current price is $309.

The Legend is $179, last time I looked. The Magellan price above is misleading because you have to buy the memory seperate.

Best Luck,

Bob

Clown Knife Posted on Dec 20 2003, 10:17 PM

Memory is cheap! He needs good reception in tree cover and that would be Magellan and it comes with the data cable to connect to the PC. Nya nya nya! 

Yes but that adds to the overall cost of the unit and there was a specified budget which the unit is already $50 more than the specified requirement per unit. If you had to put out $1500 for just the units, then see a budget overrun of $750 more plus the cost of memory (let's just call that an additional $500 total), you can begin to see how prohibitive that would be on a limited educational budget.

Now if this additional $$$ is peanuts to you, perhaps you could make a charitable contribution eh?

TotemLake, you know there is no 100 dollar solution for that teacher, whether Garmin or Magellan is chosen. Extras have to be purchased, data cables or memory or both. So what is your point? I never mentioned peanuts, but you seem to be familiar with nuts. Perhaps they run in the family? Did your mother have any children? Sheesh! Oops upside your head! Who died and made you Chief Financial Officer? Get real!

Edited by Clown Knife

Why the hostility? There are GPS units out there for $100 and you only really need one data cable to get things moving. However your solution went into automatic cost overruns with little consideration and the attitude that memory is cheap... but it was still an extra cost.

Again, why the hostility? I merely pointed out the obvious flaws in your opinion of what would work the best.

for what you are looking for with the exception of the ability to upload maps most nearly any current gps would suffice. the basic magellan meridian (geeen or yellow) was available for $99 and it did accept maps for upload and came with its own data cable. i dont know if it is still available though. contacting garmin or magellan is a good idea though as they would likely have an incentive program.

Update: Garmin doesn't have any sort of incentive program, Magellan does. Right now, we have sent a fax to Magellan like we were told to by one of the people we talked to there. It was sent a few days ago and we haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks all for the suggestions.

PS: Anyone wanting to give away fifteen of the GPS units of the same type, PLEASE email me. ;) pdoexpress(at)myrealbox(dot)com

Update: Garmin doesn't have any sort of incentive program, Magellan does. Right now, we have sent a fax to Magellan like we were told to by one of the people we talked to there. It was sent a few days ago and we haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks all for the suggestions.

PS: Anyone wanting to give away fifteen of the GPS units of the same type, PLEASE email me. ;) pdoexpress(at)myrealbox(dot)com

Thanks for the update! I was curious how that was going.

We got a resonse from Garmin. It's bigger then what they usualy do but if we can except refurbished units they can probably do it. The lady who talked with us said that she needed to talk to some of the higher ups that would come in on tuesday. But that they could likely do it.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted :D

We got a resonse from Garmin. It's bigger then what they usualy do but if we can except refurbished units they can probably do it. The lady who talked with us said that she needed to talk to some of the higher ups that would come in on tuesday. But that they could likely do it.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted :D

Thanks for the follow up. Good luck with your project!