Which "toy" Is Better?

The Weasel

I was wondering if anybody else has bought either of these 2 "toys". I had a topic earlier on the Garmin Forerunner, but was also interested if anybody has bought the Timex GPS watch. I have my Forerunner on order (due to be shipped by Dec 20th). It looks like they pretty much do the same thing, but the Forerunner can mark waypoints and the Timex GPS watch doesn't. The good thing about the Timex watch is that it's waterproof to 50 meters which should help for some of those hydrocaches. ;)

http://www.querymaster.com/Timex/TimexGPSWatch.htm

http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner201/

Edited by The Weasel

The garmin has many more features which may help account for its size.

One thing that bother me though is that the Timex watch states it can calculate speed up to 450mph...

Wonder what that limitation is there? I know there are not many times that some one needs to clock faster speeds, however I usually use my GPS when in flight and have recorded speeds of 500-600 mph with my magellan.

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

Hi,

I have a timex GPS 50 lap model that I used to train for a 1/2 marathon. I loved the thing to death for that purpose - it gave me really accurate readings on distance, splits, etc. Also, yes - very definitely waterproof. Mine's been white water rafting with me, taken some knocks and didn't miss a beat.

Having never actually been geocaching (am getting GPS for my husband for Christmas, and am REALLY psyched about trying this...but feel it would be wrong to sneak off and use the GPS before giving it to him) I'm not sure how regular GPS units behave, but I can tell you that the watch will crap out on you every once in awhile if you're under a tree.

You will also have better signal reception if you wear the GPS receiver on your arm instead of on the waist belt clip thingy. For some reason it seems to get confused more easily if it's on a waist clip.

I'm not sure this helps you at all, but if there's anything else specific that you'd like to know I can try to answer your questions! Good luck - it's a fun toy.

C.