Magellan

barry49

;) [font=Times

I was in the process of upgrading the software on my Magellan Map 330, when the new kitten ran across the keyboard. Guess what, the GPS was rendered inoperative. I immediately contacted Magellan and they sent me a repair authorization. The next day I dropped it in the mail explaining what had happened. Within a week the unit was returned to me with the new software loaded. They also sent several goodies with it and a ninety day warranty on the repair. I know Magellan is number 2 when it comes to GPS sales but service like this they should be narrowing the gap shortly. I also own a Magellan Sportrak Map both units have been trouble free and are dead on. If you are looking to buy a GPS remember the service that you get from Magellan is excellent and they must have a sense of humor. Barry49

I must say I TOTALLY agree with you. The turn-around-time is crazy fast, not to mention they actually notify of the current status. I have the Sportrak Pro and the battery door screw became stripped inside, and not only did they replace the battery door, they also sent a couple of "goodies" back as well...very useful ones might I add. It would be very difficult to beat the customer service they provide when it is so obvious their reputation speak for itself, not to mention the superority of their products.

I bought a used ST Map on Ebay a couple months ago. It worked fine for a couple weeks, then developed lines on the display. I called Magellan, told them about the problem and even told them that I bought it used. To my shock, they told me the repair was covered, so I sent it in, feeling very pleased.

I got the box back about two weeks later and to my complete amazement, not only did they send me goodies (windshield mount, neoprene carry case, serial cable), they sent back to me a brand new ST PRO! Not only did they do warranty work when they technically didn't have to, they upgraded my GPSr! That's first rate customer service in my book. :P

Thanks for the reassurance on Magellan's service. On a recent evening hike, I learned that my backlight wasn't working, so I sent in a service request to Thales. They got back to me promptly, but I was hesitant on sending it back because I didn't want to be not 'caching for a couple months! I think I can actually make it if it is only for a couple weeks!

I love my Magellan Sportrak Map. It works wonderfully. I looked at the Garmins because their lower-end models are cheap, but the Garmin interface seems so aggravating to me. With the Magellan, I can find, use, and customize everything I need without having to break out the manual. It's very intuitive.

I haven't had to send it in, but I did ask a question via email on their website. I got a response immediately, and the answer worked (upgrade the firmware).

My one and only complaint about my Magellan: I was at Death Valley last weekend at the lowest point - 282 feet below sealevel -- and my receiver read 0ft. Do any gps's display below sealevel elevations? I know it's hardly necessary, but it would have been cool to have taken a picture of the gps display at that elevation.