Howto: Become A Member

Team Drought

I want to become a member. I selected the PayPal "charge me $3/month" link. It sent me off to PayPal and I created an account. Then, it sent me back to the Geochaching website to enter in my Subscription ID. I don't have an ID. There are no transactions within Paypal for me either.

Help...what do I do now? Start again? :D

I think I may have figured this out...I think.

Maybe their security is a little to good, if there is such a thing. But, it's prompting me for an Activation Code that will be on my CC statement, which I receive Jan. 1st. Until then I have a whooping spending limit of $0.00 :D

Any thoughts?

I had way too much trouble with using PayPal. :D I certainly won't use it any more. The Groundspeak administration has promised to start accepting credit cards directly in the future. Hope it'll be soon, so they will get my money when it's my time to renew my membership. Via PayPal they won't get anything from me. ;)

PayPal is really a pain in a**, it's name should be PayEnemy. When i renewed my membership, it was a painfull process, i had to fax them a copy of my passport and many other documets just to get a new password. And after that i could not do anything before i got that Activation Code. I did not want to wait a month, so i had to open Online Request for my Visa and pay for it too... I really hope geocaching.com will accept credit cards before i have to renew my membership again...

Edited by Captain_Morgan&Family
I think I may have figured this out...I think.

Maybe their security is a little to good, if there is such a thing. But, it's prompting me for an Activation Code that will be on my CC statement, which I receive Jan. 1st. Until then I have a whooping spending limit of $0.00 :D

Any thoughts?

You're waiting for paypal verification. You haven't gotten a gc.com membership yet actually.

With a new account, paypal requires verification of your CC information before you can use it. The same with your bank account I think.

You can probably call your CC company today and ask them for the charge amounts and complete your CC verification on paypal. That's what I did with my bank account. No need to wait until the next statement.

THEN after paypal finally blesses you with the scepter of spending, you can use your paypal account forever and ever amen.

Once you get it set up, it's not too bad. I wouldn't leave much money sitting in a paypal account, but it is a good way to transfer money online when you need to.

I had the same problem when I set up my PainPal account. They made two deposits in my checking account, then said to check with my bank in 3 to 5 working days to see what the deposits were, then fill out the online form with the amounts, and they would send my activation code, blah blah blah blah. Well, this was on a Friday before a 3 day weekend, and by the time my bank got the info, it was a full 10 days later before I could use PainPal. But, since then I've had no problems and have lobbed nearly $15,000 over the internet to various businesses and accounts.

There is no decent off-the-shelf subscription payment software that has been able to suit our needs, so we'll be writing a custom solution to accept credit cards. We are working on figuring out how to do this. We also have varying issues with PayPal as a merchant so I feel your pain.

Once the change is made so that Groundspeak can accept CC's for membership, I'll pay. I have had bad experiences with PayPal, both as a merchant and as a purchaser, so that option doesn't play with me. Sending check by mail is also kind of clunky. So, I'll wait....I'm sure I'm not alone on this. I purchased some items through the Grounspeak store and was able to use my CC, so why can't I do it here? Why can't the forums also use Sunrise Identity? I hope this works out soon, I WANT my premium membership status! :ph34r:

Seems to me that you should be able to get a money order or mail a check for the $30.00 to Groundspeak and they should be able to activate your membership. No paypal involved that way. Just a thought.

Way too expensive from abroad. At least for me.

Thanks for an update on the future CC-possibilty, Jeremy. I'm looking forward to keeping my $$ flowing in. :ph34r:

Seems to me that you should be able to get a money order or mail a check for the $30.00 to Groundspeak...

I wish I could, but, the bank in Germany really screw you. First you have to purchase the checks...which are very expensive. Then you pay throught the *ss to write it in U.S. dollars. I'll just have to wait for CC's to become enabled.

In the meantime, maybe you could accept credit cards to do the one-time yearly subscriptions without the automatic renewal. Just send an email to all that they have to re-subscribe every year until you finish your custom setup.

In the meantime, maybe you could accept credit cards to do the one-time yearly subscriptions without the automatic renewal. Just send an email to all that they have to re-subscribe every year until you finish your custom setup.

I'm sure they've thought of everything conceivable, but it's best to:

1) have something automated

2) have something that will fit the current model with activation codes etc

It's in Groundspeak's best interest to have all of that working, so rest assured they're doing what they can to get it implemented. :ph34r: Pocket Queries are a nice thing!