I'm Brand New!

ia_teacher

Hey all you experienced Geocachers out there. I received a new Garman Gecko 101 for an early birthday present and had never heard of geocaching until I saw it the term in my manual. I typed in geocaching in a search engine and found some web sites. Any really good information for a newbie like me? I went out today, but didn't have much luck. (looked for two, but was unsucessful.) I'm sure they were right under my nose as the saying goes, but are there any particular things to look for? Any help would be appreciated -- I'm really excited about finding my first cache! Thanks! :D

welcome to geocaching!

I'm sure you'll find those caches eventually. You may consider trying to find a local association in your area to find other cachers you can team up with. To find if your area has such an organization, go to the main geocaching.com page and select your state from the drop-down menu. At the right of the screen will be a license plate, below it a link to the organization (if there is one).

Keep looking though... part of the problem getting started is your pre-conceived notions of what the caches are supposed to be. Once you start finding them, it'll get a bit easier. Make sure you start with some 1/1, 1/2, 2/1 caches, etc. Don't try anything too difficult at first or you'll really get yourself frustrated. :D

Take along a printout of the cache page so that you have it for a reference. My first trip out, I just copied the encrypted clues. I found the caches, but it was a real pain. Also, take along a compass, and use that to follow to the final spot, once your GPS gets you within about 20 or 30 feet. The Gecko 101 has something that looks like a compass, but it is just a directional finder, and stops working when you stop walking. A magnetic compass will lead you on the heading you want (from the reading on your GPS).

Once you get to the area, try to think like the person who hid the cache....where would YOU hide it? Don't give up, and don't get discouraged by DNF's.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN!!!!!

welcome to geocaching!

I'm sure you'll find those caches eventually. You may consider trying to find a local association in your area to find other cachers you can team up with. To find if your area has such an organization, go to the main geocaching.com page and select your state from the drop-down menu. At the right of the screen will be a license plate, below it a link to the organization (if there is one).

Keep looking though... part of the problem getting started is your pre-conceived notions of what the caches are supposed to be. Once you start finding them, it'll get a bit easier. Make sure you start with some 1/1, 1/2, 2/1 caches, etc. Don't try anything too difficult at first or you'll really get yourself frustrated. ;)

How does one go about getting an organization listed under the license plate?

welcome to geocaching!

I'm sure you'll find those caches eventually.  You may consider trying to find a local association in your area to find other cachers you can team up with.  To find if your area has such an organization, go to the main geocaching.com page and select your state from the drop-down menu.  At the right of the screen will be a license plate, below it a link to the organization (if there is one).

Keep looking though... part of the problem getting started is your pre-conceived notions of what the caches are supposed to be.  Once you start finding them, it'll get a bit easier.  Make sure you start with some 1/1, 1/2, 2/1 caches, etc.  Don't try anything too difficult at first or you'll really get yourself frustrated.  :P

I'd send a message to contact@geocaching.com and ask them. :P

welcome to geocaching!

I'm sure you'll find those caches eventually.  You may consider trying to find a local association in your area to find other cachers you can team up with.  To find if your area has such an organization, go to the main geocaching.com page and select your state from the drop-down menu.  At the right of the screen will be a license plate, below it a link to the organization (if there is one).

Keep looking though... part of the problem getting started is your pre-conceived notions of what the caches are supposed to be.  Once you start finding them, it'll get a bit easier.  Make sure you start with some 1/1, 1/2, 2/1 caches, etc.  Don't try anything too difficult at first or you'll really get yourself frustrated.  :P

I'd send a message to contact@geocaching.com and ask them. :P

Duh-Doy! Thanks.