Memory...do I Even Need It?

I just made my final desicion on which GPS to purchase. I am going to go with the MAGELLAN MERIDIAN PLATINUM GPS. Found a sweet deal for $242.

I just read though, that if you don't add an SD Mem Card, you can't add routes. Or did I read this wrong. Don't plan to use any mapping functions now. Just Geocaching.

Do I need memory? :)

My advice to you: get yourself a 64 Meg SD card minimum and the MapSend TOPO maps.

It will make a world of difference when you go caching: first you have to get to the caches and the enhanced basemaps will help you a great deal. The default basemaps are really poor. If you travel, you'll really appreciate being able to switch maps too.

Then, once you get to the cache area, having topo info will help you navigate the terrain better. For instance, being able to see that there's a stream between you and the cache might save you a lot of frustration...

You can manage your waypoints (and maps) using the SD card like you would with a hard drive. It's great when working with many data sets to remove screen clutter, not to mention the ability to backup your data.

Also, if you have a Pocket PC, geocaching software such as GPXSonar takes advantage of the SD card and will let you upload waypoints from Pocket Queries to your GPS in the field via the SD card.

I know that in my case, the fact that the Meridian had an SD card was a deciding factor in purchasing that unit and I have never regretted it.

My 2 cents.

I have a Magellan Meridian (green). I added a 64 MB SD card and it is more than enough for what I use it for. I've heard people putting in 256 MB SD cards, but officially Magellan doesn't let folks know about this (I'm tempted to try this out). If you are a big traveller, I would recommend getting the largest your pocketbook can afford (minimum of 64 MB). Keep in mind that everytime you write large amounts of data to it, it takes a LONG time to do it from serial port to GPS to SDcard. If you plan on uploading a lot, I recommend buying a SDcard writer to speed the process up.

Geo,

Sorry a little off topic...

About using a PDA... When you have the GPS unit connected to the PDA, can you use the PDA memory card to save/store the waypoints without having an SD card in the GPS unit?

I currently have a Dell Axim with a huge CF card that would be ideal if this would work.

kwarner...

I never 'connect' the PDA to the GPS. I do everything via the SD Card. In other words, using GPXSonar, I export my waypoint selection to a file. I copy that file to the SD card of the GPS using the SD card slot of the PDA. Then, I put the SD card back in the GPS (Magellan Meridian) and load up the waypoints using the card utility functions of the GPS. Dead simple. ;)