Serial Port Problem?????

Insp Gadget

OK this is kind of strange. I have a laptop and my GPS is connected to Com 1 serial port. I opened Visual GPS and it accuately recorded info from my GPS V and displayed it on the screen. At the same time, I opened ST 2004 and tried to view my position on the screen. No way. When I went to configure GPS, only Com 3 showed up and it said there wasn't a GPS connected to this port, which is correct.

Why can one program see this port and the other one can't? Also I opened Mapsource, but can't figure out if it can display my position on the screen. This program was also unable to see the GPS either.....

Just a guess here but maybe only one program can use the serial port at one time? I know that if another program like Palm Desktop grabs my COM 1 then I'm unable to transfer data to my GPSr with any other program until I shutdown the Palm program.

I shut down visual gps and just tried ST 2004. Same problem....

I have similiar problems on my PC that has two serial ports. I could not get a second different program to run from the second serial port. But if I connect the hardware from the first up to the second serial port then it would run. After doing some research it appears that some OS or programs will not release the port even if you disconnect the hardware from it. What I have found is by removing the Serial port, then rebooting my PC, the serial port will be automatically reinstalled and then what I connect up to it will be recognized.

I had the same problem on my laptop (well, a similar problem anyway). I can't tell you exactly what fixed it, but it suddenly started working after I spent the evening on the phone with a Microsoft tech who was helping me set up my LAN. It turns out I had a TCP/IP error, so we deleted that whole system and then re-installed it. After that the COM1 started working again.

Maybe someone else can explain it better. I'm just glad it's working again!

Bret