Free Mapping Software?

SylvrStorm

This may have been discussed before, but I can't find it in my forum searches. I'm looking for some free software that will let me see the contents of .loc (or .gpx) files graphically. I don't need or expect anything fancy - in fact, even if it only showed the waypoints relative to each other that would be sufficient. I just want a way to find clusters of caches so I can decide which area to target for a cache outing.

Even something as basic as the maps available here on gc.com, with no roads or anything (for Canada), would be good. But I need a way to filter out caches I've already found, I've placed, or I'm not interested in finding. I know I can do this with a premium membership, and may do that eventually, but for now I'm looking for free options.

Thanks,

SylvrStorm

Try this:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map.cgi

It superimposes your gpx file on top of about half a dozen different NRCan base maps/topos as well as CanImage orthophotos. The resulting map is in displayed in Adobe SVG format (you need the plug-in) which allows you to link directly from the waypoints to the cache page as well as move the waypoints if you wish. You can even adjust the opacity of the base map after it is displayed. Very cool... and FREE!

One thing though, it maps based on the bounds of the dispersion of the waypoints in the file. You should prune your gpx file first to show only the points you want, thus giving you a more detailed resultant image.

Cache-Advance

Geocaching.com Admin

I think that freeware programs than can read .loc files are pretty much limited to EasyGPS which doesn't have the graphical display you want. You can use the free utility GPSBabel to convert .loc files to a variety of other formats that could possibly be used by other freeware packages.

Have a look at the combination of GPSBabel and GPSTrackmaker freeware which might do what you want graphically.

Edited by PDOP's

Okay, I have a selfish question: if "cache-advance," who lists himself as a "Geocaching.com Admin," recommends GPS Visualizer, then why is it still not listed on geocaching.com's "Geocaching Software" page? ;)

By the way, a future feature might be the ability to manually specify a bounding area (instead of simply using the data to define the bounds). For now, you could, in theory, include an invisible two-point track (as text) along with your waypoints, and use that to define the area. Ask me if you want details.

-- Adam Schneider

(owner of GPS Visualizer)

-- Adam Schneider

(owner of GPS Visualizer)

First off, a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Adam, for providing this tool. As a software developer I can well imagine the effort that must have gone into creating it. You da man!

if "cache-advance," who lists himself as a "Geocaching.com Admin," recommends GPS Visualizer, then why is it still not listed on geocaching.com's "Geocaching Software" page?

I don't think it would go on the "Geocaching Software" page, as that seems to be for software you actually download and install to run locally. However, I do think it would be a great idea for it to be listed on the Useful Links page, either under "Geocaching Resources & Tools" or "General Resources".

There are some other links that should (IMHO) be there too, like Markwell's FAQ. Does anyone know if these ideas have been formally suggested to TPTB and been rejected? Or is it simply that nobody has yet bothered?

SylvrStorm

I don't think it would go on the "Geocaching Software" page, as that seems to be for software you actually download and install to run locally.  However, I do think it would be a great idea for it to be listed on the Useful Links page, either under "Geocaching Resources & Tools" or "General Resources".

That would be fine too! Even better, actually, since it would require one less click...

I already wrote to what I thought was the relevant e-mail address last summer (about getting a link on there), but I never heard back.

Adam