Help Me With My Process

Alrighty, this conversation about the GPSMAP 60 got me thinking: why isn't there already a device that does everything? There's gotta be. Maybe you can point it out to me.

Specifically, here is what I currently do.

1) Locate a cache on gc.com. Copy the description page to word. I do this because we still often times need the logs in order to find it (we're not all that good at this yet :)

2) I then delete all the irrelevant stuff from the stuff I just pasted into word. Things like "locate another cache" or "View a map..." ect.

3) Next, I'll copy and paste the name of the cache into a new waypoint in MapSource.

4) Next, I'll copy and paste the coords into MapSource. I then need to delete those annoying little degree marks for MapSource to accept the coords.

5) Repeat 1-4 until I've found enough caches for our next outing.

6) I then print all the pages created in the word doc.

7) Finally I download the waypoints to my GPS V

Like tonight, this whole process took around 1.5 hours for 10 caches. Its fun and all, but I get the feeling I'm making this way to difficult.

My questions are this:

1) How do I condense the above procedure into something more manageable?

2) What device out there might bypass the need for printing the cache sheets all together? I'm a minimalist, so I'd want this miracle device to have the GPS built in, have auto routing features and allow for a bunch of maps (16MB in the GPS V is just too little).

Is the GPSMAP 60 this device? My instinct says no. Maybe you all no better?

Thanks in advance for your time =)

First thing you need to do is become a member for $3 / month. This way you will get access to the cache data in GPX format. Like the LOC files, it's XML but with all the description info built in.

Then you need to look at various software posted here that will let you manipulate and view the GPX data.

Or just a Palm Device and a GPS.

I use pocket Queries from this site to send GPX files to my Palm so I have all the caches pages, and logs and hints if I need them).

The GPX is also used by ExpertGPS (or EasyGPS if you don't want aerial photos or topo maps) to send the points to my GPS.

That way, I can go to a waypoint and look around. If I don't find something, I check my Palm device for the description, and later logs or hints if I am totally off.

Edited by DustyJacket

Well, it's not ideal, but here's what I do (similar to your problem):

1) On the cache page, select "Make this page print-friendly" just under the hidden date and waypoint number (next to the tiny map near the top).

2) On the print-friendly page, click "Make this page print friendly (5 logs)" to display recent logs

3) Then click "Decrypt"

4) Print this page as it is from the browser.

5) Back at the main cache page, click on "Download waypoint file (*.loc)" and save as GC1.loc

6) Repeat 1-5, except saving each waypoint as GC2.loc, GC3.loc and so on.

7) Download and open EasyMPS (www.iancowley.co.uk/caching)

8) Drag and drop all your GCx.loc files onto EasyMPS, select the options you want and use the "Open in Mapsource" feature.

9) Open mapsource, plan route if necessary, then upload waypoints.

Although this looks like a long process, it's actually dead quick. And instead of individually downloading each waypoint, you can select them from your filtered list of nearest caches, clicking the check boxes and selecting download at the bottom of the page. You might end up with two or three files this way, but it's less hassle than a file for each waypoint.

That process is what I use. It's quick once you get used to it, and saves having to buy new equipment (EasyMPS is free to downlaod and use!)

Disclaimer: EasyMPS is written by me, hence the blatant advertising :) Other similar applications are available, such as GPSBabel

Wow thanks for the responses! A few things:

-I am a premium member

-I didn't realize there is a link on the printer friendly page to add the 5 logs

-The printing option, the GPX and the EasyMPS option combine to streamline the GPS/Paper version of a solution. Thanks!

-What about the paperless way to go? Is a PocketPC with TeleType software and CF GPS module a good way to go? Maybe something else along those lines?

Again, I really would like not to use paper, and I would like to have a single do-it-all device. I've searched here and read quite a bit and it seems something like the Dell Axim and TeleType CF + Software might be a good way to go. Any thoughts positive or negative?

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!

A single do it all would be a PPC pda running Cache Dragon with a CF card GPS loaded. For a little more durability put it in an Otterbox and get a Bluetooth GPS unit. Mapopolis has a converter to overlay the cache locations with info on the maps. Very nice. I've even stayed with Mapopolis to find caches.

Same can be done with a Palm unit, though there's no one-stop software for caching. Cachemate comes the closest, but currently no GPS "goto" type screen yet (Cetus works very well though for waypoint info[caches] only and is supported by GPS babel). A GPS plugin is in the plans per the developer.

Spend some time at GPSpassion.com for lots of info regarding PDA/GPS combo's.

Edited by oneeyesquare
-I didn't realize there is a link on the printer friendly page to add the 5 logs

FWIW, you don't limit yourself to 5. You can look at the cache page, count how many logs are relevant, make a printer-friendly version, click on the 'with 5 logs', option, and then, in the URL itself, you substitute the number 5 at the end with the number you really want.

Also, don't forget to set your browser to display text with smallest possible fonts. Will save you lots of paper!

Noh Funpuns

PDA-less cacher

Ahh great tip! I love stuff like that.

Now, regarding font size. I've actually taken to printing 4 sheets per page. This works great for cache sheets exactly 4 pages long. However, if they are 3 or 5, I end up with a bunch of white space between.

Question: How do I print 4 pages per sheet continous for multiple caches? I've tried pausing the printer until I've submitted all my print requests, but this doens't help.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I guess what I'm asking it how do I butt two caches up together, so that there isnt a page break between them. If I could do that, that would then print all the caches in sequence, and not start a new page for each cahce (this is regardless of font size or pages per sheet) and thus save even more paper.