Meridian Swivel Mount And Ford Ranger?

parkrrrr

I know this is a long shot, but if anybody is likely to know, it'll be one of you folks. Has anyone used the Meridian swivel mount in a Ranger-sized pickup with any success? I don't think I'd like the suction-cup mount, so I was thinking of using Velcro to put the swivel mount on the dash, but I don't know if it'll fit, and I don't know anyone who has one.

In case it matters, I'll be wanting to use it in a 2000 Ford Ranger, and I'll be using the Magellan power/data cable for power.

(And yes, this does mean I finally broke down and bought a standalone GPS.)

I know you asked about the swivel mount but I am offering my experience with the suction cup mount anyway. Who knows, you might change your mind.

GPS: Meridian Gold

Vehicles:

1999 Mountaineer (same front cab area as a Ranger)

1997 Checvy K1500

1979 IH Scout II

I mount it to the left of the steering wheel and it hangs in front of the air vent. Tried it in the center under the mirror, but it blocked too much of my view. As mounted it blends in the with "A" pillar and the dash. Reception is the same as outside the vehicle.

Power/Data cable has no problem reaching the auxillary 12v outlet in the passenger leg area.

BTW: I also use the suction cup so I can use it in the other vehicles without having to mount/remount a base somewhere.

Edited by team_cottengim

I have a 2001 Ranger and bought the swivel mount for my Sportrak. I could not find any place to set it on the dash, it has no flat spot.

If I remember right the 2000 Ranger dash is about the same as a 94 Ranger, so there is a flat spot in front of the passenger seat. It should work fine for you.

I also bought a suction cup mount and found that when mounted on the windsheild that it blocked my veiw of the road when I looked to the right. Because of the shape of the dash and the size of the mount it filled the area from the dash to the rearview mirror.

I ended up making my own mount that used the part from the swivel base that your gps clips into and added some custom bent aluminum so I could hook into the center vents. Works very well.

Like I said if the dash is like my old 94 it should set right on the ledge on the passenger side just fine.

mustanglx

Old topic, I know, but in case someone else comes along who has the same question...

I ended up buying the swivel mount, and as expected there really wasn't anywhere to put it. But all of the Meridian mounts are basically the same, other than the mounting hardware, so there were nice spots on the back of the mounting plate where the bike mounting hardware would usually screw on.

So, with a little copper tubing, a few screws, and a wanton disregard for the plastic molding on the inside of the truck (replacement cost, should I screw it up, $27), here's what I did:

GPS%20001.thumbnail.jpgGPS%20002.thumbnail.jpgGPS%20003.thumbnail.jpgGPS%20007.thumbnail.jpg

I'll eventually paint that copper to match the interior, but I just had to put it in the truck and see how it looked.

Edited by parkrrrr

I don't use a mount for my MeriPlat in my car. I simply place the unit in my cupholder and it works like a charm and I can see it clearly. I drive a Ford Contour SVT, 1998. All my geobuddies are jealous! But, having said that, I would buy the RAM mount. They are awesome!

Edited by Clown Knife
So, with a little copper tubing, a few screws, and a wanton disregard for the plastic molding on the inside of the truck (replacement cost, should I screw it up, $27), here's what I did

Creative solution, Ron. Thanks for sharing that...are you able to rotate the GPSr to a more vertical orientation?

Nope. The shape of the front of the dashboard pretty much precludes that; if I tried to rotate it, it'd have to protrude further and the mount would become less stable and more in the way. Fortunately, I'm gifted with the ability to read at just about any angle, so it doesn't bother me much at all. The compass, of course, doesn't care.

Probably the only thing that would be annoying would be if I were using the magnetic compass for navigation, because then the heading and the COG would never match. But I don't do that, so it's not an issue.

I still think you can't beat the Powered Suction cup mount :lol: . It is just so convenient to pop in and out, and not eat up the batteries. I've used it centered in my F-350 for about six months, but have just switched to the extreme left side of the windshield now that I have Direct Route. It's easier to see there, extending to the edge of the dash; and also easier to hit the buttons for changes.

I still think you can't beat the Powered Suction cup mount :lol:

I actually talked that through with Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy before he decided to mutilate his vehicle. While I like my plunger mount for the same reasons you do, it doesn't work as well in his climate. Where it's cold, the plungers let go too easily and while he doesn't exactly live in a polar climate, it's cold enough the rubber loses pliability and therefore, vacuum.

I still think you can't beat the Powered Suction cup mount :lol:

While I like my plunger mount for the same reasons you do, it doesn't work as well in his climate.

Mine's powered, too. You can't see it in any of the pictures (well, maybe in the fourth one you can tell that there's no gaping hole where the power cable would normally be) but I routed the power cord down the side of the dashboard and under the dash. Eventually I'll add an outlet under there just for it, but for now it snakes across and out under the center of the dash and is plugged into my auxiliary power point there.

In addition to what Robert said, this way was a lot cheaper than the suction-cup mount. My local hunting/fishing/camping store had the swivel mount for $18. You can't even touch the suction-cup mount for that online, even before adding shipping. And of course I already had the copper tubing.

My local hunting/fishing/camping store had the swivel mount for $18.  You can't even touch the suction-cup mount for that online, even before adding shipping.

The suction cup mount and the car power adapter are free...just ask anyone who has sent in their Meridian for repairs! :lol:

Edited by Stunod

===Edited===

Ok... nevermind... I found my answer here.

Ok, my turn. I'm ready to buy a mount for my 94 Grand Cherokee and have just about decided upon the RAM mount.

Has anybody used the RAM mount for their GPS? Does it allow for the power to be hooked up? The Meridian series "looks" like it has a channel to allow the power supply to be in place.

Edited by TotemLake

Yes, there is a space in the RAM mount to accommodate the power cable.

However, the drawback with the RAM mount is that you have to screw the cable into the Meridian before you slip the GPS into the mount. It's not bad if you're leaving the unit in there for a good while, but if you are hopping in and out of the car on a cache expedition, it can get tedious.

Thanks Embra. That's the answer I found on the other thread.

Anyway, what I have decided to do was a hybrid of the Magellan bicycle mount cradle and the RAM 24" flex-arm and associated gear along with a 4" pipe with hex-button ball clamps on either end to attach to the flex-arm.

This way I'll gain the advantage of the clip-on powered cradle with the flexibility of the RAM. Also, depending on whether the navigator is the driver or the passenger, the pipe can be easily "flipped" with little to-do and no remounting the cradle. The whole setup will be mounted on the side of the jeep's drivetrain tunnel in the same manner the first brick-sized cell phones were mounted, only instead of laying flat, it will be "presented" to the navigator without having to clutter the dashboard.

I'm thinking I might have to add another 6" flex-arm to the entire setup, but that can be ordered separately and easily added on.

Just an update... there was a couple of parts that were holding up the order from shipping. I had to change one item and separate the other item out as a separate shipment so I can at least get ready for my off-road winter camp trip next weekend. The parts (not on BO) will be in on Monday and I'll have a semi-setup that will work and will post pics then.

Here are pictures of what I just got for mounting my SporTrak in my 2003 Ranger:

GPS_Holder_2_Small.jpg

Large View Image 1

GPS_Holder_3_Small.jpg

Large Image View 2

GPS_Holder_5_Small.jpg

Large Image View 3

You can get this holder at WalMart for $10.00. It's actually a cell phone holder / charger but I think it works great!

I had sorta a question / idea. This holder has a cable that also charges your cell phone. Is it possible to snip the end off the cable and solder the end of the SporTrak cable onto it to provide power to the GPS?

Here is a link to the holder.