Spoilers

Lafrog

You can't encrypt or delete a part of the message... but you can encrypt or delete the whole thing. We have encrypted one in the past, and as yet have never needed to delete a log. We e-mailed the cacher when we encrypted, explaining why. If they then want most of their log to be unencrypted, they can go back and edit the log, encrypting just the spoiler, or removing the spolier section.

I wouldn't go as far as deleting the whole message. Like NattyBooshka said, it's possible also to encrypt the whole log, and if you want, you can contact the logger afterwards and agree on something less spoiling log if they are not happy with an encrypted log.

Maybe it would be useful to give the cache owner the ability to encrypt also parts of loggings.

if you want, you can contact the logger afterwards and agree on something less spoiling log if they are not happy with an encrypted log.

Yes, Prime Suspect was correct in giving you the exact (and correct) instructions. I do, though, often prefer a more subtle method when possible. I like what Divine posted. I've gone that route and it has worked every time ... thus far, anyway!

I recently posted a "find" with what I considered innocuous comments that I intended as a compliment to the person who created the cache. I received an email from them asking me to edit my comments as they considered the wording of my compliment to be a spoiler. I appreciated the fact that I was asked to edit my log rather than having had someone delete it out of hand, without the courtesy of contacting me about it first. Eventhough I didn't agree with the point of view expressed, I honored their request and edited the log

Nevertheless, if my comments had been an obvious spoiler, I certainly would have understood if the owner of the cache had deleted my log and notified me so that I could log it again without the spoiler details.

After all, the cache was their property and property rights, even in geocaching, should be respected.

You can't encrypt or delete a part of the message... but you can encrypt or delete the whole thing. We have encrypted one in the past, and as yet have never needed to delete a log. We e-mailed the cacher when we encrypted, explaining why. If they then want most of their log to be unencrypted, they can go back and edit the log, encrypting just the spoiler, or removing the spolier section.

There is a way to encrypt part of a log.

place anything you do NOT want encrypted between [ ] brackets and then encrypt the log.

Information between [ ] will not be encrypted and everthing else will.