How Many Caches From A Coordinate?

Hokki

Hello!

I have given in my home coordinates on my own cache page, but I can only see 11 caches in a distance of 146,5 km area , when I choose 'Search for nearest caches from my home coordinates'. (Mark!!! I use 'km', not 'miles'!)

Can I in some way insert the radius for the search? For me I need about 300 km to find the caches.

Yours,

Hokki

An easy solution would be to go to the page of one of the caches 146,5 kms away and do another search for the closest caches from that page. You will pick up a few more caches, and can then leap-frog out to another more distant cache and repeat the process. The system is set to show all caches within 100 miles (160 kms) from your home coordinates. I don;t think we have the option to change this ourselves.

OzGuff

From the main geocaching.com page, if you click on the "hide and seek a cache" link on the left, it gives you an option to reset the search radius.

I got an email from one of the bosses in this group an he answered as follows:

"I'm afraid the radius for cache searches by home coordinate only extend to

100 miles (146km). There is currently no way to adjust this.

I would suggest you search by country, or if you feel like upgrading to

Premium Member you can set up Pocket Queries to widen the search."

As I live in Finland this does not work. Your suggestion only works with postalcodes for the following countries: (US/UK/Canada/Australia)

Thanks for trying!

Hokki, add "&dist=X" (without quotes and with X being the distance of your search) to the end of the search URL.

example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp....54352&dist=300

This search brings up 28 other caches within 300 km of the two caches you have placed.  You can then save the URL as a Favorite or Bookmark.

GS!

My suggestion doesn't entirely work. There seems to be a 150 mile limit on a search. Changing the value of X to a higher number, added no more distant caches.

GS!

You might also try clicking on Map It.  You can then zoom out on that map and extend the area considerably.  If you then click on the radio button for Identify you will get a list of caches close to any cache you click on.

That's basically a good hint. The downside is that the maps outside US (at least in Finland) aren't that good. :) They're zoomable anyway, and the indentifying function works, so that's at least a little help.

I think you're just gonna have to tell Divine that he should place more caches near your home.
Think that would help? :)

The parameter "&dist=X" helped me a lot! The amount of caches changed from 11 to 32! Tänx!

But another thing that bothers me is that when searching from homecoordinates I get caches also from Sweden. There should be a parameter that says from which country the caches are choosen.

The best solution is to make more caches! I made my first two last week. It does not help me, but it helps other geocachers in my region to play and to make more by themselws. Everyone should make caches in intreseting places. But there are still too few geocachers around out country. But it will grow.

Another way is to buy a faster car! My goes 230 km/h, so it should be enough!

Tänx!

Edited by Hokki
The best solution is to make more caches! I made my first two last week. It does not help me, but it helps other geocachers in my region to play and to make more by themselws. Everyone should make caches in intreseting places. But there are still too few geocachers around out country. But it will grow.
You've got that right: placing caches will increase the chances there will be new cachers around. And with more cachers the chances that they will start placing their own cache swill increase. Just look for example Turku now. When I started this hobby for about year ago there was merely one or two caches there, and look at it now! :(

Also, getting a geocaching story to your local newspaper will increase the chances of new members appearing.

Another way is to buy a faster car! My goes 230 km/h, so it should be enough!
Tell the police I said hi. :D