Tn Rest Area Cache Compilation

robertlipe

The Middle TN Geocaching Club is pleased to present a compilation of rest area caches in the area surrounding Middle TN as an aid to those travelling through our home area for the holidays. We hope other clubs will offer similar services in their area as we travel through YOUR areas. :P

Our definition of "surrounding" is flexible, but optimizes down to "anything that our neighbours will help maintain". If someone in KY or AL or whatever wants to take their area by the horns, we'll foot the bill to host it, but we'd prefer to limit our efforts to something that could reasonably defined as drive-bys in areas that are at least kinda sorta near us.

If you have contributions to that page, mail me privately. The less work I have to do to your contribution (cut and paste: good. research or look up GC#'s: bad.) the quicker they go up.

Enjoy.

RJL

Thanx. Just the other night, I was going to add maps to these pages, but hit a wall. Tiger maps essentially melt at the needed scaling levels. Interstates and major roads are in the same layer, so you can't turn them off independently. If you look at a map of a 2 or 3 state area with all "major" roads on, the map is essentially black. :rolleyes:

Terraserver and Toposerver are useless at this zoom level, and this seemed to violate the "personal use" terms at Mapblast, Expedia, and Multimap. So in the absence of a good idea on how to display them play nicer with Tiger or a free map solution that works at this level, it's sort of dead.

Also, what's the most useful way to categorize this? By region (west TN, Middle TN, North AL, etc) or by interstate (I-65, I-40, etc.)? Is there any specific sort order that makes more sense than the other? (Currently it's an alphanumeric sort on the interstate name....)

Cool site, RJL - I've posted myself asking for suggestions for great caches along a planned travel route & have seen several others do the same.

I've been thinking for some time abot setting up a site for I-40 across the Texas Panhandle. It's be cool if folks in Oklahoma & Arkansas could come up with something for their areas & we'd all link up!

- Sue