find:couldn't find ratio

I'm curious... What's your ratio of caches found to those that you couldn't find? I don't necessarily mean that you were *never* able to find it. Rather, I want to get a feel for how often people are unable to find a cache on their first try. Here's our current numbers: 11 finds, all on the first try. We've had two calls, but got 'em both shortly before we gave up.

[This message was edited by CrocodileHunter on July 06, 2003 at 06:21 AM.]

We were close on 1 no find. We have 12 finds. We had our children with us (one almost a 2 yr old). We got down to within a 100 ft of a cache , but it was on top of a big hill. We knew it was up there, but the only way up was by a very steep grade, through briars, and lots of brush. The mosquitos were eating us up, we decided to come back for it with just my 12 yr old son and I and repellent. We found it easily pnce we made it up the hill, we were tore up, but at least it was not a did not find.

Now our very first one, was rated very easy. But, it was actually one of the harder ones. Tree coverage through the GPS all out of whack and the cache was about 75-100 ft off the trail. Not heavy bushwacking, but more than we thought of one rated at a 1/1. It was very well hidden too, one of the best.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I've got some kind of curse. Whenever I bring someone along who's never been geocaching before, it's almost always a no-find. In fact, my first ever attempt was a cache that had been recently stolen.

Stupidity is a self-curing disease.

I have 139 finds and 36 Not Founds. Some of those 36 are multiple not founds on the same cache (I have 5 on one alone). I eventually found most of the caches, but I counted 7 that I never did find. In most cases they had gone missing.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I guess I'm running about 30% DNF right now. I don't think of it as a failure though. I think that it's all about the hunt. I have to admit that I don't allways log my DNF's. If I gave a legit search, I log it. If, for some reason, I had problems..ie. a storm blew in, or was not prepared for the terrain...I don't log. I just go back later.

I don't think anyone would appreciate feeble excuses logged on cache pages.

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

I currently have 119 finds and 2 no finds if you do not count those that are confirmed missing, have taken multiple attempts, or where I aborted the hunt for safety reasons or because I determined the cache was posted no tresspass or otherwise not legally accessible at the time.

Approx stats of the exceptions:

caches with multiple attempts ending in success: 3

aborted hunts: 4

trespass concern: 1

safety issues (generally snow): 3

does not count aborted hunts that were later successful

caches confirmed missing: 2

I am VERY persistent and I don't like no finds. If it is there, I'll find it. I keep coming back until I do.

One of my no finds has since been archived, but it was there when I looked, so it will be a permanent no find. As to the other one, I'll get back to it sometime soon.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

400 finds, 29 DNF's. I don't always log my no finds - if I don't find it 2 or more times, I usually consider 1 DNF enough. I almost always cache solo, my eyes are not the best, and I don't consider myself particularly good at spotting micros. I usually find them eventually (unless they have gone missing), but if I don't care for a location or cache I won't go back.

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

I currently have 119 finds and 2 no finds if you do not count those that are confirmed missing, have taken multiple attempts, or where I aborted the hunt for safety reasons or because I determined the cache was posted no tresspass or otherwise not legally accessible at the time.

Approx stats of the exceptions:

caches with multiple attempts ending in success: 3

aborted hunts: 4

...trespass concern: 1

...safety issues (generally snow): 3

...does not count aborted hunts that were later successful

caches confirmed missing: 2

I am VERY persistent and I don't like no finds. If it is there, I'll find it. I keep coming back until I do.

One of my no finds has since been archived, but it was there when I looked, so it will be a permanent no find. As to the other one, I'll get back to it sometime soon.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

I still consider myself a newbie with only 51 finds logged.

There were a few that I couldn't find but decided not to log a No Find on any of them since it was more likely that it was my inexperience at this keeping me from finding it than the cache being gone. I was proved right on 2 of them when I went back for a second try and was able to log a Find. Woo-HOO!

There's still one that I couldn't find even after 2 trips, maybe I'll give it another shot before logging a no find.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that cannot.

Nice thread. I am another persistent cacher who likes to clean up his not-founds, as well as avoiding them in the first place by searching for as long as it takes.

I have 320 finds and 18 not-founds, or a ratio of about 18 finds for each not-found. Of those 18, 9 not-founds were on caches I later found. And THREE of those were on the same cache... a level five difficulty that took me four trips and twelve hours to crack. Six not-founds were logged on caches later determined to be missing. Only three were on caches that were really there. Two of them are in California and the other in New York. I hope to clear up the New York one next week!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

14 finds, 4 no-finds. Haven't been hitting the high-difficulty caches yet, because for us caching is primarily an excuse to go for a walk.

And 159 posts, for a post-to-find ratio of about 11 to 1. Gotta keep away from those endless silly threads... icon_razz.gif

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.