Webcam Cache safety

At what point does a webcam cache become unacceptible? I found a webcam that is pointed at a grassy divider in the middle of a very busy street!

Pictures of me at the webcam are here:

Standing at the location didn't seem all that dangerous, but _getting there_ might be a bit dangerous (crossing 2 lanes of a highway basically)

There is a sidewalk next to the road though.

Plus, the height of a person in the pictures is VERY small, and almost not worth it!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--Tree

(o< -!!

//  Never laugh at live

V_/_  penguins.

quote:
Originally posted by MillenniumTree and Mist:

... in the middle of a very busy street!...

..._getting there_ might be a bit dangerous ...

... (crossing 2 lanes of a highway basically) ...

...There is a sidewalk next to the road though...

...the height of a person in the pictures is VERY small...

...and almost not worth it!...

What were the "pros" again?

Pan

Fact is that there is nothing out there you can't do,

Yeah, even Santa Claus believes in you...

Floyd of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, from "Can You Picture That?"

If that webcam were submitted as a webcam cache, it is highly unlikely that it would be approved. There is no way to tell whether the person in the picture is a geocacher or just someone passing by. The safety concern is also an issue. When reviewing a webcam cache, the approvers look for a webcam where the geocacher can be identified by looking at the picture. Not every webcam is suitable as a webcam cache.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

quote:
the height of a person in the pictures is VERY small

I think that cache is lame for that reason. Might as well be a weather sat webcam.

--Tree, can you prove that's you...it looks a little like me. icon_wink.gif

bad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I like web cam caches. I haven't found enough of them yet.

With that said, I also like living. I haven't done enough of that yet.

Seriously though, I think people are smart enough to make the call on whether or not they feel safe logging the cache, the hard part might be getting it by the admins with the fear you've already expressed in the safety of the cache. Don't worry though, I don't think the approvers read the forums. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, just look at the Burbon Street cache, you're probably more likely to die logging that cache than any other cache in the world.

That was a joke.

I say go for it.

Pan

I suppose I should have checked out the pictures before replying.

::checking pictures::

HOLY COW! Are you kidding?? What are you daft?

icon_smile.gif

Pan

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

There is no way to tell whether the person in the picture is a geocacher or just someone passing by.

Maybe as a condition of logging the cache you have to hold up a huge 20' by 20' sign saying

"I AM A GEOCACHER" with a arrow pointing down at your person (or some other clearly identified method).

Can anyone Photoshop in a sign to that picture as a demonstration?

Pan

MillTree and Mist:

I lived in Madison from 1993-2001 while getting edu-ma-cated.

Is that by an overpass over 151 (or is it just 51?) near East Towne Mall?

If so I used to walk that way to the movie theater over there when the bus dropped me off at the mall. Did it countless times and lived to tell about it. icon_smile.gif

Problem may be that the person is too small for a webcam cache.

---Stats banner used to be here.---

[This message was edited by Bull Moose on October 23, 2003 at 03:08 PM.]

Would a sign that says "Log me dammit!" in block letters work for approval? Maybe even just your Moniker spelled out would work.

Quite frankly some approval issues are just splitting hairs that don't need to be split. If you want to make a stand on "you have to recognzie the cacher" you end up having to define exactly what that means so that people submitting the web cam can figure out if a 12pixel wide face is recognizable under the rules.

In this cache it looks like a parking lot is nearby that can be used for the log. The only web cams that should probably not be allowed are the ones on the interstate system pointing at interstate mediums.

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

If that webcam were submitted as a webcam cache, it is highly unlikely that it would be approved. There is no way to tell whether the person in the picture is a geocacher or just someone passing by. The safety concern is also an issue. When reviewing a webcam cache, the approvers look for a webcam where the geocacher can be identified by looking at the picture. Not every webcam is suitable as a webcam cache.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

Forgot to comment on this earlier. NO ONE would ever be in this photo, at this particular location unless they were doing roadwork. The only way to get here is to cross 2 lanes of busy street and stand in the divider between the lanes (2 on each side) It's right next to a huge highway overpass too.

--Tree

(o< -!!

//  Never laugh at live

V_/_  penguins.

The camera view might not be acceptable, but if it were there is still the safety issue. I think each person needs to take responsibility for their actions. if you feel it is unsafe, then don't do it. If you do a cache that you consider is unsafe, then you have only yourself to blame if you get hurt.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Maybe as a condition of logging the cache you have to hold up a huge 20' by 20' sign saying

"I AM A GEOCACHER" with a arrow pointing down at your person (or some other clearly identified method).

Deja Vu! I had been thinking of one webcam for a local television station that looks down upon the city below. Unfortunately, the spot where a cacher would stand to be in the view of the webcam would render the person a mere dot on a hillside. I had the bright idea of makeing some sort of flag that someone could hold up that would make them visible.

My God! What was I thinking? I'm going to have check my medication one of these days icon_rolleyes.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.