Pace Counting Beads

FISUR

I recently made an impulse purchase of some pace counting beads (aka: pace cords), and I've started using them while geocaching. Does anyone else use these things while looking for a cache?

Rhode Island Geocaching

[This message was edited by FISUR on July 08, 2003 at 05:22 PM.]

[This message was edited by FISUR on July 08, 2003 at 05:23 PM.]

Yes, except I use them mostly on land navigation courses, patrols, and long distance foot movements. Pace count beads are one of the best investments you can make to improve your land navigation accuracy. I usually terrain associate to the point where I think a benchmark / point is and then use a GPS from there. Just remember your pace count will change as the day drags on or terrain changes.

Bret Bellizio

i have found that i like the beads more than rely on them. a good pace count takes a while to feel out, but a rough guesstimate comes together quickly. i feel the beads gave me something to measure and help make a mental note.

in response.. some people like to rough it to a spot, terrain assoc, compass orient, trail walk, etc and then use GPSr to walk in to final spot. makes it a different game for me. a little more of a challenge.

we haven't done any challenging caches yet, the kiddies kind of limit it right now. i will be attempting some good hikes this summer, and my compass, and beads will be with me... as well as arial and topos.

happy trails

robbie

rpc295a.jpg

spc99a.jpg

and these are nifty too.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST INSECTS AND OTHER ARTHROPODS OF MILITARY SIGNIFICANCE