Topo map software suggestions

Blinddog,

ARE YOU BLIND! icon_wink.gif

Sorry, since seeing your nickname I just had to say that...

A VERY affordable topo software can be had from Staples. Go to their map section and look for the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for your state (or any state actually). Attached to the new ones are free topo CDs covering the entire US. Total cost is less than $20.

However (big warning) --

Someone (I think it was mcb) pointed out that the topos can have errors in them. He went on what looked like a nice easy hunt (according to the topo) only to find it was NOT flat like on the map said. Just last weekend I ran into the same problem. But for cheap and easy to use it's pretty good.

Blinddog,

ARE YOU BLIND! icon_wink.gif

Sorry, since seeing your nickname I just had to say that...

A VERY affordable topo software can be had from Staples. Go to their map section and look for the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for your state (or any state actually). Attached to the new ones are free topo CDs covering the entire US. Total cost is less than $20.

However (big warning) --

Someone (I think it was mcb) pointed out that the topos can have errors in them. He went on what looked like a nice easy hunt (according to the topo) only to find it was NOT flat like on the map said. Just last weekend I ran into the same problem. But for cheap and easy to use it's pretty good.

I would recommend GPSTrackMaker. It is freeware and has many great features, including the ability to load topo maps taken from the web and size them properly. There are many places on the web that have detailed topo maps.

Off the shelf I use Delorme's TOPO 3.0. The user interface isn't great but it has some very good features, including 3D resolution. I have also heard very good things about Maptech.

Ofcourse; I don't think any of these print in braille. icon_wink.gif

geosign.gif

I would recommend GPSTrackMaker. It is freeware and has many great features, including the ability to load topo maps taken from the web and size them properly. There are many places on the web that have detailed topo maps.

Off the shelf I use Delorme's TOPO 3.0. The user interface isn't great but it has some very good features, including 3D resolution. I have also heard very good things about Maptech.

Ofcourse; I don't think any of these print in braille. icon_wink.gif

geosign.gif

Blinddog have a look at www.fugawi.com

I use it extensively for Geocaching and basic hiking. I only have the Canadian Topos which are very good so I would presume U.S. maps are equally good.

The software is excellent with waypoint, route and track management and easy to use. The moving map with GPS looks good but I have only tried it with the simulator on my GPSR.

Good Luck in your shopping.

Happy Caching, Olar

"if you come to a fork in the trail, take it!"

I've tried two of the Topo software products out there. Of the two I like National Geographic Topo the best but it has a HUGE problem right now. It won't correctly load waypoints from my GPS V. Maybe this will be fixed soon, but it is a turn off on the software. Still I like the interface.

One other warning on topo software. There is software based on the USGS quad maps, and there is software that isn't. The software that isn't is cheaper (entire USA for 99 from Delorman (sp?) vs. a single state for 99. But the USGS based software has much more detail.