Did Avanto Kill Custom channels?

Yes and no

They changed their poliocy on CC's. It was a little vague but it seems you can only have a custom channel that no more then 5 avantgo users have. So if you are the only one to have www.akuheghlsheg.com then your ok but if 5 people have it and you try to add it, it ain't going to work.

Possible work arounds I thought of (but havn't tried):

1 - try editing an old CC to the one you want - It seems like it will let you keep your old CC's.

2 - I think ou can use endora web (free app) for the palm to sync web pages

The reason for this is:

1 they want to put pressure on web sites to become a 'standard' channel (and pay Avantgo)

2 they want you to become a paying user of Avantgo

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

Possible work arounds I thought of (but havn't tried):

1 - try editing an old CC to the one you want - It seems like it will let you keep your old CC's.

2 - I think ou can use endora web (free app) for the palm to sync web pages

Another possible (untried) workaround:

3 - If you have access to a webserver of some kind, even if it's on your own machine, create a script that redirects to the first page of the site AvantGo won't let you use.

warm.gif

quote:

Yes and no

They changed their poliocy on CC's. It was a little vague but it seems you can only have a custom channel that no more then 5 avantgo users have.

AvantGo current policy on custom channels.

If you have more than 1000 users, you have to pay. If you have more than eight (not five) users and you're doing commercial work, you have to pay. If you have eight or fewer, you don't have to pay. If you have between nine and a thousand, whether or not you pay depends on AvantGo's judgement of whether you're running a commercial venture or not.

Another workaround - very close to what was suggested and not tested. use a free web service like geocities or your isp's free web space to post the links of the pages you want on avantgo. Set the custom channel to go to off site links and look one extra level down.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

Another workaround - very close to what was suggested and not tested. use a free web service like geocities or your isp's free web space to post the links of the pages you want on avantgo. Set the custom channel to go to off site links and look one extra level down.

Actually looking at Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy work around it is basically the same but this might be a little easier to understand to the web newbe.

quote:

That's what I have been using and it works. The custom channel is just a hidden page on my website.