New Caches physicallychecked by volunteers?

kingcach

I am new to geocaching and enjoy it. However, I have a question regarding getting a new cache approved. I am aware that it needs to be approved by the admin of gc.com. Does an actual person go and check the cache before it is logged on the website? If so, does this person have the right to take anything from the cache before everyone else has a fair chance at finding it? Your input is helpful hear.

I'm not lost, I just don't know where I'm at.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm a cache approver and I would like to welcome you to geocaching!

We WISH that we could visit every cache before it's approved, but that's just not possible. Rather, we check the cache out for compliance with the rules as best we can, using maps, aerial photos, e-mails with the owner and other tools.

It is interesting to read criticism of the cache approvers for "not knowing the difference between a micro and a regular sized cache" or "how could a cache be approved in that hiding spot?" We don't have pictures of the caches in their hiding spot, ordinarily.

To your other point, many if not most of the cache approvers have a personal policy of NOT being first to find any cache which they approve, or at least waiting for several days in order to allow others a chance to find the new cache (since we have the unfair advantage of knowing about the cache before it is listed). Once I go on a cache hunt, I'm just another geocacher.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

I'm glad they do what little they can (maps/aerial photos/etc). I had a typo in my first, and currently only, cache. My latitude was 7 degrees off - it put the cache in Jacksonville instead of Pensacola. Doh!

It might make sense for them to have someone else just review for typos and such.

I personally check new caches in my area. If there's anything wrong with the cache, I'll let the hider know by way of my log. If there's a big problem, I'll send them an email and see if we can work it out. I try to be the first to find it, but sometimes I'll let someone else do it. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I'm not an approver. I suspect most areas work this way. The first few cachers to find a cache will decide if the cache is appropriate (rather than having the admins check it out before it is approved). The most active cachers know the area and local approver well enough that they can email concerns to the approver.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cache chasers:

Physically checking every cache submitted...WOW what a job...where do I send my resume'

To the department of abuse request department?

I doubt that any region physically checks them all before approval, but when there's something that keeps it out of the "rubber stamp" bin, a visit is sometimes necessary. Feedback from those first few finders is important, too.