New idea for a cache (get green)

Joe Smith

This came to me in a dream. (you know you've been doing this too long when you dream about tupperware) wanted to ask the experts before I did a trial run.

Get Green cache.

This is a way to keep the cache hider active in the upkeep of his / her cache.

When you place the cache, along with the other goodies you place a rule sheet, some nice prize (money, gift certificate, or expensive toy. Place it in a separate container with the rules written on it so it is not removed unexpectedly.

In the container are little slips of paper, tokens, tickets, ext… anything that people take with them after they visit. Obviously you should not place tons in the cache as that is just cheating.

If the owner lets the cache “tokens” run out before the next refill than whomever takes the last token also takes the prize with them. This can be a lottery of sorts as each time more tickets are added another prize will be added.

Adds another twist to the sport.

what do you thing?

Thanks!

Joe Smith

I seek the Holy Grail!

I think that's a great idea to keep caches maintained...however I agree with the rest, people will cheat and/or just take the "prize". What if you did it like this....say that if after x amount of people log the cache, you will do maintance or send them a prize. That way you can verify if the people were there via online/paper log, and there wouldn't be anyway to double log. If you hang on to the prize until someone calls you out on it, then they won't be able to just take it w/o you knowing. When you DO go out for maintance then you'd have to make sure to log both in the log book, and online to prove yourself to the finders.

I'm sure it can be more refined than this, but this was what I thought of on the spot here.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Even more basic than someone cheating, good owners will check up on the cache anyway, esp. at the 1st hint of something wrong in a finder's (or non-finder's) log. Bad owners don't give a hoot, and even if they got around to placing the prize and slips anyway, probably wouldn't budge to restock.

If you need a reminder to do cache maintenance, set Outlook on your computer or PDA to buzz you every few months that it's 'cache maintenance time'.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Nice words of praise makes the owner feel good and usually they want to keep doing a good job. No interest makes the owner uninterested too.

The owner fixes a damp cache, send them an email saying "Wow, you sure do stay on top of your caches, Thanks!"

You find a cache with everything as it should be, Post a note saying "It's great to find a well maintained cache"

Even if you think that you shouldn't have to praise someone for what they are supposed to be doing, it does help and it only cost a moment of your time. Who knows you might even find yourself being paid back in ways you didn't expect.

And if some of those people aren't as on top of things as they should be, at least say something positive. It just might restart their motivation.

Thanks guys, I may still do something like this but not as a reminder to take care of a cache (which i try to do often) but more as a way to add some more fun to this sport. I might say "after 10 finders I will post the coordinated to an ammo box containing some great prize" and let them go for it. First one wins. Who knows but it may work. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Good idea TeamX40, it's easy to just report the bad but we don't take the time to thank the hider for all the work. And a good cache takes alot of work.

Thanks!

Joe Smith

I seek the Holy Grail!

Judging from the habit people have of taking TBs and completely ignoring the goal of the TB, even when the goal is attached and easy to read, I doubt anybody would even read the 'rules' you put in the cache, or wouldn't follow them if they did.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)