Posting to multiple caching sites?

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

Does anyone have a problem with the idea of posting a cache to multiple cache site, eg, here and [the N-Place]?

I hope nobody has a problem with it. I've seen a number of comments from people saying that a cache belongs to the hider and he or she is free to do what they want with it. If it belongs to the hider, it's up to them how to publicize it. (And the LetterboxCaches are already listed on two sites, Geocaching.com and Letterboxing.org.)

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.

While I havent used the other geocaching sites yet, I sertainly dont think that their is anything wrong with seeking/posting a cache there. I see it as my using hotbot.com to find something...and if the results arent what I am looking for..I check out google.com. It isnt being disloyal, you are just using the available equipment. I say go for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

This would be the best way to make a GC.com MOC available to all cachers, while still supporting the GC.com efforts, wouldn't it? You know...instead of belly aching and complaining about it all.

Why would you designate it a MOCache if you wanted it to be available to everyone? icon_confused.gif Just make it a regular cache.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

This would be the best way to make a GC.com MOC available to all cachers, while still supporting the GC.com efforts, wouldn't it? You know...instead of belly aching and complaining about it all.

Why would you designate it a MOCache if you wanted it to be available to everyone? icon_confused.gif Just make it a regular cache.

rdw

I have only three caches right now. Yesterday I began to register it on "the other" site. But then I realized I'd have two versions of the description which I'd have to maintain. So I stopped.

Is it okay to register it there and simply provide a link to the geocaching.com page?

I have no problem with that. I like having some variety in the geocaching sites. Actually, I’d like to see some sites spring up that have personal caches that aren’t listed on either site. Sort of a secret underground, untraditional network of caches. (No, not literally buried underground and nothing illegal) icon_eek.gif

creekbed%20logo%20original.gif

I have no problem with that. I like having some variety in the geocaching sites. Actually, I’d like to see some sites spring up that have personal caches that aren’t listed on either site. Sort of a secret underground, untraditional network of caches. (No, not literally buried underground and nothing illegal) icon_eek.gif

creekbed%20logo%20original.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Is it okay to register it there and simply provide a link to the geocaching.com page?

I'm not affiliated/associated/acclimated with any cache listing site, so I feel pretty free to speak my mind on this.

Were I to visit a cache listing, only to find out that the actual information was listed on some other site (your own web page even). I would never hunt the cache, and I might send a note to whoever was in charge of the listing site asking for it to be archived.

Information should be easy to obtain. If I had synced your cache on my Palm, but only found a link to some other site listed, I would be perturbed. This is me and my opinions here, I don't claim to speak for anyone else and I could very well be alone in my perspective.

I currently have 20 caches out there, & all 20 are listed on Geocaching & Navicache. 2 of them are also listed on a GeocachingWorldwide. The more exposure they get,the more accessible they are to cachers who visit multiple sites. That's why I'm playing this game. Don't care about the politics. Don't care if some folks like the idea or not. I put the work into placing the caches & I'll put the work into maintaining them on as many sites as I care to list them on. All that should be important to the serious cacher, is that the caches are out there to enjoy, & you have access to the information for them. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

rdw

*I* wouldn't, but someone who find a MOC could easily post the coordinates to an alternate site and thereby "free" the cache for others, couldn't he or she? I'm not saying this is right, but I don't recall there being any usage Terms of Service for the MOC's.

I'm just trying to let you all know that this could be used, by those who choose to do so, to undermine the effectiveness of MOC's. The sooner you think about it, the sooner you can address it.

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

rdw

*I* wouldn't, but someone who find a MOC could easily post the coordinates to an alternate site and thereby "free" the cache for others, couldn't he or she? I'm not saying this is right, but I don't recall there being any usage Terms of Service for the MOC's.

I'm just trying to let you all know that this could be used, by those who choose to do so, to undermine the effectiveness of MOC's. The sooner you think about it, the sooner you can address it.

I sure hope something like that never occurs. Even though there may not be a direct rule against this type of activity,I would think that just the implied code of conduct amongst cachers would prevent it. I think, for the most part, we're all in this for the fun & adventure. Messing with someone elses cache co-ordinates & posting them elsewhere would be going too far. Here's hoping for the best. icon_smile.gif

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

I sure hope something like that never occurs. Even though there may not be a direct rule against this type of activity,I would think that just the implied code of conduct amongst cachers would prevent it. I think, for the most part, we're all in this for the fun & adventure. Messing with someone elses cache co-ordinates & posting them elsewhere would be going too far. Here's hoping for the best. icon_smile.gif

Gary "Gimpy" Strong