Cache owners finding their own mobile cache

Web-ling

What is the general consensus on the owner of a "mobile" cache logging a find on their own cache? A "mobile" cache is one where finders move the cache to a new location and post the new coordinates.

If the cache has been moved to a location where the owner has NOT previously visited, should the cache owner feel free to hunt and log a "find" on their own cache?

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:

If the cache has been moved to a location where the owner has NOT previously visited, should the cache owner feel free to log their own cache?

I have a cache that is sort of like this, except the mover does not post the coordinates, she just moves the cache and leaves the new coordinates in a small container at the last spot. So, with each find, the multi-cache becomes more multi.

I would never think of logging my own cache as a find, even though I've had to hunt down seven legs of the cache now to do maintainence.

But that's just me. Some people log a "find" even when they don't "find" it, they just feel they looked long enough. So I imagine there will be mixed feelings on this debate.

Imagine that...

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

The only mobile cache that's now mine that I logged, wasn't mine when I logged it. Blackjak started the first five of the Photographer's Caches, and one sat unfound in Chicago for the longest time. I logged it.

Later, I adopted all the Photographer's caches, but still maintained my one pre-owned find.

I wouldn't log my own mobile cache again. Virtual or traditional.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

well, i guess it depends on whether it's been moved significantly. someone moves it a few feet, it ain't a new find. it gets moved over a couple counties, ya have to find it over.

quote:
I have a cache that is sort of like this, except the mover does not post the coordinates, she just moves the cache and leaves the new coordinates in a small container at the last spot. So, with each find, the multi-cache becomes more multi.

wow, that's twisted.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

It seems to me it's equivalent to archiving a cache, giving someone else the container, then finding the cache they placed with it. The point in seeking a geocache is the location, not the container. If the point was the container, you could log a cache you've already found any time the owner replaces the container.

Whether you choose to or not, it's your count, and it's not giving other cachers bad information about the cache, so no one else should care, either way.

Addendum: I do think it would be good form, though, for the owner to wait a while and give other cachers priority.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on February 20, 2003 at 06:18 PM.]

I placed a mobile cache to stay in a general area and can be found and hidden by anyone, including myself. There are many very interesting hiding places and just as many logs. I encourage macro photos of little people. I also allow multiple 'finds' to cachers. That outa stir some folks up, huh?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"

-George Harrison

I have logged two finds of my own mobile cache. Once I went out after it after someone logged a no find and I wanted to see if it had been snagged but not logged. I took nearly an hour to find my own stinking cache. I designed and made the container to blend in with local scenery and it does quite well. I figure if I put in an hour trying to find it I should be able to call it a find. I think it's fun seeing some of the places mine has been placed. Some places are such that a 'real' cache would never fit or be approved but are fun none-the-less. It's been in parking lots, front yards, and in the middle of hiking paths.

Web-ling, it's your cache. If you want to 'find' it, go right ahead.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

Web-ling, it's your cache. If you want to 'find' it, go right ahead.

Yes, I know it's my cache, and I CAN do anything I want with it. I just feel a bit funny logging my own cache, so I wanted to see what other cachers think of the idea. As of the moment, it's running 24 to 2 in favor of logging it, so I probably will - assuming I can find it again.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif