Ban locationless caches

I don't see a problem with them. The more I reflect on it they aren't something that I want to do, unless they are something that is especially exciting to me. However I do 'own' two locationless caches.

It seems that at least the vocal majority (including Jeremy and the admins) don't care for them. And the division between those who like them and those who don't seems to grow wider every time the subject comes up. In the interest of keeping things civil here at geocaching.com I think it would be best to split them out entirely. Whether this should be a seperate section like the benchmarks or a completely different web site, I don't know. I like the idea of having all the types of caching (traditional, locationless, benchmarking, etc) under one roof, as it just makes it easier to keep track of everything.

So my vote is to create a new section of geocaching.com to contain locationless caches.

JMHO,

Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

I believe the needs of the masses would be best served by creatin a new area for the locationless caches. Just because someone does not like them does not mean they should be dumped. If you dump locationless caches, then how long will it take me to campaign for dumping mountain caches because I do not like mountain climbing. Or how long before you dump multi-caches because someone does not like those. What about micro-caches? Someone doesn't like them, so we throw them out as well?

I can't believe this whole discussion has gotten so out of hand with a group of people who are supposed to be intelligent adults. This is not what I became a member for.

I will climb down from my soap box now.

M-D-M Explorations

MrSki and DogMa

40º 07.874'N

88º 11.647'W

I agree with you, this game is world wide and not only the young play. For the folks that are not intrested in in getting out into the wildreness or are not capable locationless caches are perfect for them. Lets don't exclude a group of people because of our dislikes. I personally am not a fan of urban caches so I just stay away from them instead of complaining. For you folks who are fanx of locationless caches you need take a stand on the subject. I wonder why they were even incorporated into the game from the begining if they were just going to come under fire at a later date.

Team SuperGenius

Pepepr

Horizontals where it's at!

Matt isn't opposed to locationless caches. He is trying to sound people out here. From the beginning Jeremy has spoken out about his concerns about locationless caches. That's ok, this is his website. Then we get into this entire thing about locationless caches being lame and the next thing you know it's next to impossible to get one approved.

So without wanting to cause trouble here some of us are looking around for a place for us to play with locationless caches. I'm not big into the numbers racket so I don't care if my new finds count towards my total finds. I'd be more than happy to use my gps on another site along with geocaching.com.

Navicache seems to be a likely spot to look into. I'll wait for all the locationless cache fans to decide and follow them there. After all it's just a hobby and I plan to enjoy all aspects of it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I wish that some people would come up with some new interesting locationless caches. Good ones have been done for sure, but now people are trying to make caches out of school buses and colleges and tall buildings. It would be neat to see some good new creative ideas... something unique and uncommon and something that would be interesting to see, instead of something that you drive next to everyday.

It also seems that there are about 10,000 Geocachers registered (or more), and only about 20 or 30 at the most who seem to complain about the locationless caches.

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

I think Web-ling’s idea in this thread would address this issue to nearly everyone’s satisfaction. (Well, maybe not admin’s since they would be the one’s doing all the work icon_wink.gif)

quote:
I wonder why they were even incorporated into the game from the begining if they were just going to come under fire at a later date.

In the beginning there was just a bucket beside a road. icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

[This message was edited by Whidbey Walk on June 09, 2002 at 12:26 PM.]

I think Web-ling’s idea in this thread would address this issue to nearly everyone’s satisfaction. (Well, maybe not admin’s since they would be the one’s doing all the work icon_wink.gif)

quote:
I wonder why they were even incorporated into the game from the begining if they were just going to come under fire at a later date.

In the beginning there was just a bucket beside a road. icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

[This message was edited by Whidbey Walk on June 09, 2002 at 12:26 PM.]

quote:
Good ones have been done for sure, but now people are trying to make caches out of school buses and colleges and tall buildings

And see that's the problem right there. Again we are rating caches according to what we personally think about them. Maybe someone would enjoy logging a school bus, college or tall building. Maybe it would require as much of an effort as driving to a local park and walking 100 feet to find a cache.

I enjoy all of them so far and I've logged about 8 or 10 locationless caches.

Again my thought is simply this, if you don't like a cache just don't go after it instead of whining about it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

My suggestion for this whole thing would be to keep locationless caches but post the finds like so-

Caches-Benchmarking-Locationless

So if you found 65 caches, 40 benchmarks and 5 locationless caches then your found count would look like this.

65-40-5

All geocachers would no which find is which, and for those of you who cant stand locationless caches and have found a gazillion regular caches, simply ignore the last 2 columns. Just a suggestion!

-You can weld it, glue it, or use the handyman secret weapon, Duck Tape icon_smile.gif

My suggestion for this whole thing would be to keep locationless caches but post the finds like so-

Caches-Benchmarking-Locationless

So if you found 65 caches, 40 benchmarks and 5 locationless caches then your found count would look like this.

65-40-5

All geocachers would no which find is which, and for those of you who cant stand locationless caches and have found a gazillion regular caches, simply ignore the last 2 columns. Just a suggestion!

-You can weld it, glue it, or use the handyman secret weapon, Duck Tape icon_smile.gif