Murder by GPS!

Crusso

On this week's episode of "Monk", (cool show, check it out), someone was killed when thier in dash GPS led them to somewhere other than where it was supposed to (hmmm, sounds like my GPS V!).

Turns out the killer had reprogrammed a CD Rom & substituted it for the original to lead them to the murder site.

I think they replay the episode a couple of times a week.

Hmmm, first CSI now Monk. GPSs gonna get a bad rap!

Wherever you go, there you are!

I Tivo Monk and just watched this yesterday. It was great. My first exposure to GPS technology was a Hertz rentacar with a Magellan system built in.

Just like most computers in television, they look nothing like the real thing. I didn't see any maps at all on the screen, just text with directions.

Also, the premise was that the GPS system ran from the CD. So, when the criminal switched the CD, he got the system to run differently. My experience is that the GPS system runs from its own chip, but you can load extra maps from a CD. So, the show didn't really make sense. But, it was fun to see it anyway.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

I thought the premise was that the CD contained the maps, and the points of interest and the criminal knew where they would want to go and the custom CD had different coords for that location. So the GPS just routed them to the new coords where he was waiting for them.

My Brother n Law has a built in GPS to his Mini Van, it does show a map, and even has a female voice him to tell him when to turn. So when my sister isnt there to tell him how to drive icon_smile.gif

As is the case for most shows, the creative liscensing writers use to make their show work goes beyond the capability of what can be done.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.