Was I wrong

I recently visited a cache that was rated a 3-3 when it should have been a 1-2 because I could walk right by it and find it plus it was in a populated area so the chances of someone vandilizing it were extreamly high plus there was grafitti all over and beer cans so I moved it from between the rocks to under a ledge literally two feet away same quards and everything I posted it on the site and someone found it the same day even before I posted it was I wrong in protecting the cache or was it a good idea the reason I ask is the cache owner was very upset when he found out and emailed me and yelled at me before I even had a chance to tell him that the cache is in the same rock formation if I was wrong you can shoot me or somethng but I really dident mean any harm I felt that I was acting in the caches best interest!?!? im really sorry for any inconveniance! would you have done the same thing?

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Generally speaking, unless you are positive the cache is NOT where the placer put it, leave it where you found it. If it's exposed to the extent that you fear it will be plundered, you might put something over it to hide it a little (like some bark), but don't move it. I'd email the owner rather than posting it on the web page. Keep in mind it's not your cache, it belongs to the owner. If it gets stolen because the owner used poor judgement in placing it, that's their problem.

I hope the owner wasn't too hard on you. Looking at your user profile, I see you're new to the game. Welcome! I hope this negative experience doesn't turn you off to the game.

25021_1200.gif

Geez, that's hard to read. Please use more capital letters and punctuation. Commas, periods, question marks, etc.

Was the cache where the desciption and hint indicated it should be? If so, you probably should leave it. That's where the hider intended it to be, whatever their reason may be. If it was clearly where it shouldn't be, then you should consider moving it. If in doubt, don't move it.

rdw

You should have left it in the same place that you found it. Maybe cover it up better if it was right out in the open when you found it, but definitely don’t move it to another location. Judging by the record of the hider (188 finds- 10 hides) they know a good cache location when they see it. They checked on it July 5th and it was fine, and before that another cacher couldn’t find it. Another way to handle it is to email the owner with your concerns, and even offer to move it for them if they agree that there may be a problem.

The above advice is only my opinion. Now go find some more caches and don't let it get you down icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by Scout65 on July 21, 2002 at 01:37 PM.]

You should have left it in the same place that you found it. Maybe cover it up better if it was right out in the open when you found it, but definitely don’t move it to another location. Judging by the record of the hider (188 finds- 10 hides) they know a good cache location when they see it. They checked on it July 5th and it was fine, and before that another cacher couldn’t find it. Another way to handle it is to email the owner with your concerns, and even offer to move it for them if they agree that there may be a problem.

The above advice is only my opinion. Now go find some more caches and don't let it get you down icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by Scout65 on July 21, 2002 at 01:37 PM.]

I had the same situation come up a little while back. Saw the cache sitting out in the open in plain sight. At first i thought about moving it a couple of feet, but with the name of the cache being what it was, i decided to leave it in place. I did place some leaves and sticks over to camouflage it a bit better.

Four Fingered Tree

Unfortunately it did go missing later on. I made the right decision but looking back i think i should have contacted the cache owner and let him know what i had found.

Im not sure if you should go back and try to put the cache back where you found it or not. If it went missing after that then you would really be on his bad side... Ask him would be my advice. I mean you are only trying to do whats right!

Take a breath man! Use periods! Anyway, I've found caches left in the open, where I believed it was not the intent of the owner to do so. In each case I covered it up better, or moved it a foot or two to what was obviously (to me) the original hiding place.

The real questions is why don't people leave the caches the way they found them.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller