Pocket Query

jonboy

I have been trying to use the Pocket Query feature and I have found it quite confusing. I can't even figure out how to cancel queries I have already made. What do people use them for? I do not have a PDA and have been storing my cache coordinates on TOPO! as a tpg file. What I would like is to load the data into my mapping software without having to manually enter all the coordinates, and thus risk errors. I think this feature is far from self explanatory. Is their a source I could refer to for guidance? I have downloaded EasyGPS and made an experimental pocket query, but my question is, "Now What?". I think it is assumed that we are all computer professionals, with lap tops, PDAs, digital cameras and the ability to use software intuitively. I tried to do a search on the topic, but I probably didn't do that correctly either.

They're not just for the pda. The querry lets you customize your search. Say you only like traditional caches that are of a dificulty 3 or above with a terrain of 1. You can do that.

Or, you just want the virtual caches in your area. You can do that too.

I just get the closest few hundred in my area so that I always have an updated list of waypoints on my gps AND their pages on my PDA. I don't need the PDA pages, it just makes it nice.

If you want to cancel a search, just unselect the days you want the querry to report to you. Leave the days blank and it won't search.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

jonboy... the query lets you narrow your search down to more specific caches, or weed out those your not interested in. I used it for the first time on my pda and my gps when I went to New Mexico. The Mobibook thing was great on the pda so that I didn't have to print up all the cache pages but I'm not too fancy with my execution...and I had all NM caches loaded in my gps using easygps. My gps is a simple garmin 12 with no maps... I've got mapsource on my puter but I'm not very good with it... I usually look at the topozone map and mapquest to get to the area... then follow the arrow. Some areas I've got the trail conference maps for... most of yours fall in that category... just another reason that I like your caches icon_smile.gif

jonboy... the query lets you narrow your search down to more specific caches, or weed out those your not interested in. I used it for the first time on my pda and my gps when I went to New Mexico. The Mobibook thing was great on the pda so that I didn't have to print up all the cache pages but I'm not too fancy with my execution...and I had all NM caches loaded in my gps using easygps. My gps is a simple garmin 12 with no maps... I've got mapsource on my puter but I'm not very good with it... I usually look at the topozone map and mapquest to get to the area... then follow the arrow. Some areas I've got the trail conference maps for... most of yours fall in that category... just another reason that I like your caches icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

quote:
I can't even figure out how to cancel queries I have already made.

Anybody?

I have a few "dead" searches that won't go away.

I have been using the Pocket Queries since the day they came out. With a very few exceptions they work great, and fill a really big need as far as enabling a Cacher to carry many cache pages, and Waypoint data with him conveniently in the field. I can probably be of a little help to you on things if you want.

With the Queries you can generate both a .prc file for loading into a PDA with the MobiReader installed on it to read the Query data, and a .loc file for uploading the same waypoints from your query to your GPS using EasyGPS. The basic Idea is it allows you the flexibility to intuiively target exactly the Geocache data that you wanna have with you, on both your PDA and GPS. Once you create your 5 Pocket Queries there is no real way to delete them. If you dont want to recieve a particular Query just uncheck all the days at the bottom, and while your particular Query will still be in the system, and retain its original Query number, it wont be sent to you until you edit it again and check at least one day you want it emailed to you.

Also its a good idea to use the zip feature as well to avoid query data from being corrupted during transport.

Dead Searches are usually caused by one query option that is not correctly set.

Try going over it again, and making sure you dont have say, Find all caches within 500miles of my zip code, yet have the state wrong or another such error.

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.