Basics

OlyHippy

I'm new to this geocaching craze, but certainly not new to land navigation.

If I can give some good advice (solicited or otherwise), here it is:

Learn to read a map, plot points, work a compass, and walk a pace-count. There is nothing worse than relying on technology that is sometimes prone to failure.

Here is an excellent resource:

https://www.tbs.usmc.mil/Pages/Downloads/Student%20Handouts/courses.htm

quote:
Originally posted by OlyHippy:

I'm new to this geocaching craze, but certainly not new to land navigation.

If I can give some good advice (solicited or otherwise), here it is:

Learn to read a map, plot points, work a compass, and walk a pace-count. There is nothing worse than relying on technology that is sometimes prone to failure.

Here is an excellent resource:

https://www.tbs.usmc.mil/Pages/Downloads/Student%20Handouts/courses.htm

Not quite so good with forum navigation, huh?

Did you happen to notice most of the threads you commented on were 2-3yrs old?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Yeah, thanks MOPAR. But it's interesting that you would put this in a thread I started. I know what you are doing, so do yourself a favor and email me privately if you want to look important.

Those responses were honest oversights, but this topic is always relevant.

I think manual land navigation is the reason letterboxing never made mainstream...even though geocaching is far from mainstream where I live...

Most people want to have fun NOW...not in a week/month/year when they've finally learned how to properly use a map WITH a compass AND learned how many of their paces equals 100 meters.

I don't think geocaching would have caught on and evolved into what it is without the technology...

BUT I do agree with you on the importance of learning the manual methed (I'm and engineer and I know how to use a slide rule...and at 26, younger than calculators icon_wink.gif)

-pizzachef

quote:

Yeah, thanks MOPAR. But it's interesting that you would put this in a thread I started. I know what you are doing, so do yourself a favor and email me privately if you want to look important.

Yeah mope...geez! Pickin on a newbie! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

hey, how's your snow plow doin?

-pizzachef

quote:

Hmmm, I thought the reason I put that there was you replied to 6 3yr old threads like they were written today. I did it to poke a little fun at both you and the screwed up forum import.

I surely don't need to reply to your thread to look impotent......errr...important.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Jomarac5

He can't help it, he's from NJ! icon_biggrin.gif

No, but seriously, who really gives a s%&t what post I reply to. If I think it's relevant, then that's it. Suck it up and deal with it.

This is all about them squeezing virginia into the New Jersey Forums! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_eek.gif