GeoCone

TeamK-9

I know someone will probably say that I'm stupid for sharing an idea for hiding a cache, but I feel that if this is used right, it wouldn't matter if people knew about this idea and my use of it.

Basically, my idea would be build some kind of small container into a traffic cone or barrel, and then place it somewhere inconspicuous. I really think I like this idea, but I've run into some problems.

1. If I place it in an urban area with lots of other cones/barrels, it will most likely be stolen, or removed when the others are taken by DOT or whatever.

2. If I place it in a more rural area, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I just need something in between those....

Any ideas...

----

"The geocacher formerly known as K-9Cacher."

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

I wouldn't think placing a cache in the street

is a good idea. A traffic cone in the parking lot of a small business like a sandwich shop or ice-cream store (with the owners permission) might blend in well enough

to not be obvious to the general public.

Cachers would see it as out-of-place, maybe.

The store owners would probably appreciate the

extra traffic flow & occasional extra 'sale'.

Thank you all for your input, I've decided that if I do go ahead with this cache, it will be placed at an area car dealership. (Once again, that's not giving away to much to future seekers, seeing as there's 100's of car dealerships within 15 miles of my house.) With proper placement, it would be awesome...

----

Thanks Wanderingson, I actually already ready know about the Traffic Cone Preservation Society, and several of my friends are "card carrying members" but I thank you all for your input..

----

Dirty it up and place it as an urban in a dead end alley or road that doesn't see much traffic! Personally I was going to drill a hole thru the top section to mount a small bolt and chain that is attached to a mini cache that can be pulled up thru the top of the cone! Then use a few lag screws on the base, or a Hilte Gun or a few nails once you have position it to keep it from moving! It makes a great city cache and you would be surprised by how many people willl ignore it! Just dion't use a real new one!

I also have made a cache inside an old flasher unit that sits on a road block sign! I have fathomed a hinge on it that opens up were the battery was! Placed on a sign in an alley up against the wall like it isn't being used makes it look part of the area! Always make it look like it belongs there, so weather it to match the surroundings! Same thing with fake outlet boxes and etc! I know alot of people don't like them but in the right location, they work great! Just my 2 cents!

Darkmoon

"After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an automobile accident, you begin to worry about history" -Anonymous