RAM Mount Broke

Alan2

The etrex styled holder for my Vista broke. The right "wing" bent off. I was always concerned about the wings that they would "go"as you have to slightly separate them to mount and demount the GPS.

Anyone else have the same problem?

How's RAM mfr regarding thier warranties? I had mine 14 months.

Tks

ALan

Wow. I could have written this post. My RAM mount for the GPS76S just did the same thing. You had to slightly separate the wings to get the GPS to slip in, and one of the wings busted. I've also had this mount for 6 months.

My father-in-law (a handyman by trade) took a piece of plastic along the outside edge and pop-riveted it to both sides of the crack. It acts like a splint. My mount may break in other places, but it won't break in the same spot again.

I have no idea how long the warranty is.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

So RAM said they would replace it a no cost. The also mentioned - Quote "All of our custom cradles are made from GE Cycloy which is usually a very strong and resilient material. They do sometimes break though. Hopefully the next one fairs better."

However, I find that the cradle works better with one wing rather than two. Go figure? At least on the windshield where the cradle points up and there's no way for the Vista to fall out. What's nice about one wing is it's easier to insert- no need to squeeze both wings out. PLus, you can hook up the cigarette lighter cable before mounting the the unit making it easier to handle. So I'll keep and use the broken one for now.

Markwell: Did you find the same thing or have you shipped yours already?

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

However, I find that the cradle works better with one wing rather than two. Go figure? At least on the windshield where the cradle points up and there's no way for the Vista to fall out. What's nice about one wing is it's easier to insert- no need to squeeze both wings out. PLus, you can hook up the cigarette lighter cable before mounting the the unit making it easier to handle. So I'll keep and use the broken one for now.

I had exactly the same experience. My right "wing" broke about 5 months ago. It's now much easier to insert and remove the unit, especially with the power cord attached. But the unit is still firmly held in place. They should have designed it this way to begin with.

3608_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Hmmm......I was just about to order a RAM mount today....

Maybe I will order everything but the holder, and make a plate to mount my stock Mageelan holder to the top of the RAM mount....

Hmmm....Well, I'm off to look at the mounts again.. icon_smile.gif

Art

Well, if you want a better unit like me and Prime Suspect have, just order the RAM holder and break the right "wing" off as soon as you get it. Why wait months for it to break? icon_cool.gif

Alan

quote:
Well, if you want a better unit like me and Prime Suspect have, just order the RAM holder and break the right "wing" off as soon as you get it. Why wait months for it to break?

Well, Alan, because I'm cheap... icon_smile.gif

I already have a Magellan mount. I like the way the power cord clips into the holder, so you dont have to mess with attaching/unattaching it. Takes one hand to press the latch and pull the GPS out of the holder.

Plus, I can save a few $$ if I just buy the base, support, and ball of the Ram mount (minus the holder)... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

I like the way the power cord clips into the holder, so you dont have to mess with attaching/unattaching it. Takes one hand to press the latch and pull the GPS out of the holder.

Me too!

quote:
Plus, I can save a few $$ if I just buy the base, support, and ball of the Ram mount (minus the holder)
Can you? When I checked (GPSCity) the price of the entire Meridian package was about $40. If I purchased the parts separately minus the cradle, it came out to be something like $38. (numbers are off the top of my head)

A few bucks, sure.. but not a lot. I plan to buy the whole package, and then modify my Magellan cradle to mount on the RAM mount. I'll have the RAM cradle just in case. for only a dollar or two more.

Jamie