Vandalism / Theft / Complaints / Threats --- comments?

I admit I haven't looked through all the threads on here - I guess I'm just becoming a little bit disappointed with the hobby lately, due to all the crappy things that have been happening.

It started off with some other local caches being stolen... then after placing a cache in a local park, I was sent an e-mail complaining about it and letting me know that the property authorities have been alerted of my actions. And now I've finally had one of my own caches stolen. And I've only placed 4 or 5.

I guess maybe "stolen" isn't the correct word - since they ARE out there waiting to be found and explored. But I think we all know what I mean.

When I hide my cache, I take the time to try to find a good location - I try to make it interesting and filled with stuff people might like to find after searching for it. I guess that is what makes it all the more upsetting when someone steals a cache or complains about what I'm doing.

I just wonder if there might not be a lot of us out here who are losing our interest in the hobby because of stuff like this. Started out a lot of fun - but it seems no matter what the hobby, there are still going to be a@@h0les who try to ruin it.

People suck.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

Where have you been placing the caches? Are you making sure the caches are on public land? If they are in public places,, and you are not disturbing anything, I don't see why anyone would complain. Some people though live to complain.

On the subject of the theft, there is not much one can do. Vandals are a fact of life. Just make sure if you replace the cache, that you hide it well. I found one of my caches sitting out in plain sight when I came to check on it. Apparently a non cacher found it, and didn't replace it.(at least they didn't trash the cache) Fortunately I found it and re-hid it before some vandal found it.

Good luck with your future caches. Don't let a few idiots dissuade you.

Reddfrogg

Of course people suck. My take on this is that humanity is great as a abstract concept but the current implementation leaves an awful lot to be desired.

Don't let it get you down. Ignore the bozos. Concentrate on the people who really enjoyed finding the cache that got stolen.

You're doing fine. I'm in the process of hiding a four cache series. I went out this morning to check for errors before I post the whole set. One of the microcaches (located in a spot where it wouldn't just disappear) was missing. Who the heck would steal an Altoids tin with numbers inside?

Heck, I had a cache stolen before I even got to put it online!

If you are feeling bummed out, try reading this thread ClayJar's Ode to Geocaching (my name, not his). Reading that makes me think about all of the good experiences I have had with geocaching over the past few months and makes me feel ready to take on the world again...or at least yearn to get out on the trail for another geocaching adventure.

Good luck. Hang in there. Don't let all the nasty people get you down. icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

If you are feeling bummed out, try reading this thread ClayJar's Ode to Geocaching (my name, not his). Reading that makes me think about all of the good experiences I have had with geocaching over the past few months and makes me feel ready to take on the world again...or at least yearn to get out on the trail for another geocaching adventure.

Good luck. Hang in there. Don't let all the nasty people get you down. icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

I recently hid my first cache ever and have really been excited about doing it. Its in a public park area so i figure there is somewhat more risk that someone may find it accidently and plunder it. That would be a little disappointing but i figure thats just one of the risks. One thing i did do was to call the park supervisor and make sure it was allright before i hid it. That in itself took care of the other problem that you mentioned. Anyway, try not to let it get you down, just remember that there are many that appreciate your efforts!

I noticed that out of the 6 caches you have found, 4 are currently archived and unavailable. Seems to me your in a hostile cache location.

I've only had one "found" cache archived out of 50 or so I have found and it was archived because the placer was moving away.

My advice is to stay away from area frequented by people if your area is a problem. Drive a few miles off the beaten path to set caches and you may find that only other cachers find them.

Don't get discouraged, contact other local cachers and ask them for some advice. Most of us really cannot relate to the area in which you are placing caches, even though I once dated a girl from there and kinda knew the area.

Persistance pays off.

Good luck!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

I've placed over 20 something caches going back to Sept of last year and have yet to have one stolen (knock on wood). Only one was vandalized. Someone set fire to several objects that they didn't approve of and placed them back inside, but left everything else intact and replaced the cache. I guess I've been pretty lucky so far.

I do try to make sure that there is no way that a non-geocacher could stumble on most of my caches and most of them take at least a 1/4 mile hike to get to, some considerably more. Perhaps that's the secret.

There are some miscreants out there who purposely seek out caches to steal, or vandalize. I'm sure its just a matter of time before one of them gets some of my caches, but so far, so good

BrianSnat make a good point.

Generally (but not always) miscreants tend to be lazy. They want maximum kicks for minimum effort. You can protect your caches by makings them harder to access.

You basically have three ways to do this:

1) Make them 'Member's only'. It is likely that the ne're-do-well will not pony up to become a member.

2) Hide them farther from the problem. Hide them either across town or deeper in the bush.

3) Make them more complicated to find. A difficult offset or 'puzzle' cache may be your solution.