Confusing Log entry

In the CT cache section, see Schnuffles State Quarter Coin Cache. (This is one of my placed caches)

Decrypt the latest log entry.

Reading the entry, it looks like the cache was found, albeit "scattered all over the place."

It seems like the person moved the cache to another spot, as the person gives clues to it's whereabouts that do not really match the clues I have given.

I emailed the user for clarification,(no response as of yet) and will go check on the cache tonight.

Hopefully this person did not move the cache.

If they did the coordinates are now off.

Has anyone ever had this sort of thing happen to a cache?

If the person did indeed move the cache, how could I let them know that this is a no-no without seeming like the "cache police"? The person is a new cacher (3 found) so I don't want to discourage them.

Thanks for your input.

If it was plundered, he may have found bits and pieces lying around. Probably put it all back together and didn't know exactly where to put it, so tried to get it as close as possible and put hints out there to perhaps help YOU get it to it's proper place.

Don't jump to conclusions. If there was ill-intent, it wouldn't be fixed up.

We've been encouraging people through this forum to help out plundered caches. I think this is a prime example of someone trying to help.

Also, be sure the email address in your profile is correct. He may have tried to email you, too. People change their email address all the time and forget to change their profile to reflect that.

Stay calm, hope for the best! icon_smile.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

If it was plundered, he may have found bits and pieces lying around. Probably put it all back together and didn't know exactly where to put it, so tried to get it as close as possible and put hints out there to perhaps help YOU get it to it's proper place.

Don't jump to conclusions. If there was ill-intent, it wouldn't be fixed up.

We've been encouraging people through this forum to help out plundered caches. I think this is a prime example of someone trying to help.

Also, be sure the email address in your profile is correct. He may have tried to email you, too. People change their email address all the time and forget to change their profile to reflect that.

Stay calm, hope for the best! icon_smile.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Thanks, Ventureforth, for helping me see it another way. I just assumed that the cache was scattered about in/near it's hiding place, and the person figured they'd put it in a "better" spot.

What did Felix Unger say about assuming??

The person may have very well have been giving me clues so I could find it and return it to the origial hiding spot.

As said, will check on the cache tonight and see what I find.

Also, did a recheck on the email address and it is OK.

I guess I just got a bit freaky about the thought of not being able to relocate it.

Cheers!

CT,

I had something similar happen to me, but from the opposite perspective.

I read the logs of a cache somewhat near me that told of it being in awful condition. I emailed the owner, but got no response so I went out the cache to check on it myself. Well, the cache hadn't been plundered (technically) but it was obviously not in the same spot. I didn't know what to do. There was no way of my knowing the original hiding place, but I didn't want to leave it in the same spot I found it (out in the open).

I rehid the cache in a new location and after several persistent emails to the owner, he finally changed the cache page to reflect the new location (roughly 150 feet difference)

What I didn't like about the situation was that I was uncomfortable about moving the cache, but I didn't want to leave it out in the open... and after I emailed the owner about my actions he neither condoned or condemned what I did. I didn't know if it was the right thing or not.

I guess his changing the cache page was a tacit acknowledgement.

In your situation, I think it would be a good idea to email the user (like you said you did) and discuss it with them to let them know you are interested in the condition of your cache. Thank them for taking care of the problem and ask where they hid it... basically communication is the key.

Jamie

I had done the same thing. I found the cache spread out in a 25 ft. area and everything was frozen solid since it's in a low area by a river. Not knowing the exact hiding spot, I picked up everything and placed it in a hollow stump 75 feet away. I made a log entry saying that the cache was spread all over and had notified the cache owner of it's new location, although it was not salvagable. I emailed the owner and never got a reply. About 3 weeks later he archived the cache. I went back and checked and the pieces I had placed in the stump were gone. I would have hoped for at least a "thanks" or "don't toouch my cache".

Happy ending with this one. We checked the cache last night and now understand why everything was scattered about. The container had teeth and claw marks all over it! Something apparently likes to eat quarters. The person who found it mentions the teeth marks in the cache log, but didn't mention them on the "online" cache page. The cache was put approx 20 ft from the original spot, and the clues allowed us to find it no problem. It was almost like doing a new cache, and quite fun actually. We put the container in the original spot, and put a couple of stones on top to try and thwart the animals. We also emailed the person a big thank you for putting the cache back together for us and letting us know where to find it. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy ending with this one. We checked the cache last night and now understand why everything was scattered about. The container had teeth and claw marks all over it! Something apparently likes to eat quarters. The person who found it mentions the teeth marks in the cache log, but didn't mention them on the "online" cache page. The cache was put approx 20 ft from the original spot, and the clues allowed us to find it no problem. It was almost like doing a new cache, and quite fun actually. We put the container in the original spot, and put a couple of stones on top to try and thwart the animals. We also emailed the person a big thank you for putting the cache back together for us and letting us know where to find it. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CT Tramper:

Happy ending with this one. ... The cache was put approx 20 ft from the original spot, and the clues allowed us to find it no problem. It was almost like doing a new cache, and quite fun actually. ...

Very good. But BEWARE!!! icon_eek.gif The GeoPolice are watching to see if you log a find for this. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Happy ending with this one. ... The cache was put approx 20 ft from the original spot, and the clues allowed us to find it no problem. It was almost like doing a new cache, and quite fun actually. ...

Very good. But BEWARE!!! icon_eek.gif The GeoPolice are watching to see if you log a find for this. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

Yeah but, since they had to "find" it wouldn't it count as a find for them? icon_razz.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

Yeah but, since they had to "find" it wouldn't it count as a find for them? icon_razz.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

Well, if it does, then I KNOW why people log finds to their own caches . . . because almost every time I visit my caches for maintenance, at least one of them has moved a few yards . . . but not the virtual cache, of course. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

Well, if it does, then I KNOW why people log finds to their own caches . . . because almost every time I visit my caches for maintenance, at least one of them has moved a few yards . . . but not the virtual cache, of course. icon_wink.gif

I had a situation where I found one of T-Storm's caches strewn across a local park. Once I located the log, I realized that half of the kids in the neighborhood knew where it was. Rather than putting it back where it had been, I picked the whole thing up, took it home, and emailed T-Storm. I felt really awkward about removing a cache that wasn't mine, but T-Storm thanked me. She replaced it a few days later in a different place in the same park. If I hadn't removed it, there is a good chance it would have been completely gone by the time T-Storm got there to retreive it herself.

25021_1200.gif

This cache has been removed and archived. A couple of friends went to find the cache over the weekend. (04/07/02) They found the cache, but it was scattered all over the place, with the pens being half eaten once again! They were kind enough to call me on their cell phone from the cache site and tell me what happened. Since this was the second time in two weeks this has happened, I asked them to remove the cache. We will replace it in a couple of weeks in a different place. Stay tuned-

Anyone have any theories as to why an animal might be attracted to a plastic film container filled with coins? I will have to look into a more varmint resistant micro container.

I had a little different problem when I found a cache that been left in a bad way. It was on the ground out in the open, but I never use GPS so I had not way of getting it very close to the original hiding spot. I cleaned up the cache and picked a spot nearby to re-hide it. My log entry included a clue to the new spot, and a subsequent finder logged new coordinates. Check out the fixed cache.

"Why worry when you can obsess?"