SEARCHING

I would like Jeremy to add a refined searching tool. When you do a search from your home area or zipcode a list comes up with all caches in the area. This list includes caches found,& hid. The problem that a lot of us is running into is you have to hit the next 25 caches button a number of times before you actually see a cache that you can go get. My suggestion is after you type in your zipcode there is another button that allows you to select all caches within 100 miles, or caches you haven't found within 100 miles. Tell me what you think. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by KF Quad Explorer:

My suggestion is after you type in your zipcode there is another button that allows you to select all caches within 100 miles, or caches you haven't found within 100 miles. Tell me what you think. icon_confused.gif

That wouldn't help those of us where the first dozen or so caches that display are missing but not archived, because one can't find what isn't there . . .

This has been discussed a number of times, but a related matter I don't recall seeing mentioned is the high number of pages of FOUND caches some of us have to go past to get to the distant caches we haven't gotten to. Is there a way to skip those that I'm unaware of?

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

.... the high number of pages of FOUND caches some of us have to go past to get to the distant caches we haven't gotten to. Is there a way to skip those that I'm unaware of?

Maybe it hasn't been brought up 'cause most of us don't have that kind of problem. icon_biggrin.gif

Illegitimus non carborundum!

For the original poster, you do know that if you go to the Hide/Seek a Cache page that you can alter the search radius, right? You're asking for something similar off the main page where a zip can be entered upper right, then?

I would like the following search options:

1) Ability to toggle whether or not caches I've previously found or placed show up in my search results.

2) An ignore function much like the watch function, so I can keep caches like those hidden under my caching partner's account or those I've decided I'm just not interested in out of the search results. Having a link to an "ignore list" page off of the MyCache page would allow me to find and reset cache listings that I might have ignored for reasons such as long-term unavailability.

3) Ability to search for caches by a particular user without having to first find something they've hidden or logged to click the request to see their profile. This could also be handled on the MyCache page with an option to "view user's profile" with a text entry field in which to supply the desired user name. Somewhat like the "e-mail this user" link that is on the MyCache page.

My $0.02

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Originally posted by T-storm:

For the original poster, you do know that if you go to the Hide/Seek a Cache page that you can alter the search radius, right? You're asking for something similar off the main page where a zip can be entered upper right, then?

I know that you can change the radius of a search, I just dont like having to hit next 5 times to finally see a cache that I can go after.

Quad icon_razz.gif

Especially for cachers like Quad (and hopefully me soon) who have hit the closest 50 or so caches. When you go to the search page, the first couple of pages are filled up with caches that you've already hit, so you have to scroll to the 5th (for example) page just to find one that you haven't been to.

Great idea Quad!

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

I would like the following search options:

I would love to see all three of your suggestions. Especially the Ignore List. There are several caches that we've decided not to go after because the descriptions describe terrain that we could never negotiate, I would like to get them off the list. Thanks for the suggestions, I hope Jeremy can make it happen.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.