GPSr being used added next to name in logs?

3fros

I was reading this article about the sporTrak pro being so incredibly accurate http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html (check out the graphs on the links in the page) when it got me thinking about the fact that all GPSr's are not created equal. What if you could add the model of GPSr you are using to your profile (if you wanted to) and then the model were added to the header of the find posts that you wrote. It could also be added somewhere in the posting of any caches you hid.

Here are some of my reasons that I think this could be a good idea.

If you had model X and you see that model Y users were consistently having a harder time getting close to a cache you could start to form opinions of which GPSr's to buy or avoid buying.

If someone hid a cache and gave coordinates that many of the people that previously found it disagree with, then you could also form an opinion if that is a good model to buy (especially if you see it happen many times).

Perhaps you have the same model as the person who hid the cache in the paragraph above. Who do you believe? If you have the same model as the person who hid it, maybe you should use their coordinates.

If someone uses the SporTrak pro to hide their cache, and I knew that is what they were using, then I would like to think that I could trust their coordinates.

Just a thought.

What do you think?

By the way, I'm currently using the Mag 315, but looking to upgrade

Too many variables. There's a lot more to accuracy than what GPSr you're using. And there's a lot more to consider than accuracy when selecting a GPSr. And, from what it seems, one particular model GPSr will vary among owners, probably partly to the GPSr as well as to pilot error.

Just because the GPS knows where it is does not mean you do!

Like brdad said, there are too many variables. I'm a huge fan the of the SporTrak, but I've seen it swing 90° while walking in a straight line. this was in an area with a lot of sinkholes, so that might have had something to do with it.

I have mixed feelings about knowing what unit the hiders used. If they had a ST and did proper reading, then I would know I could get to zero and know the cache is in arm's span distance the vast majority of the time.

Eh, it'd probably change how we play the game. Now, we get to zero and simply look around for the likely spots to hide something and work out.

The searching is part of the fun.

CR

72057_2000.gif

brdad nailed it- way too many variables. I always read reviews with a grain of Salt- except Consumer Reports, then it's a grain of Sea Salt. The review you Markwelled relied on information from Magellan. I don't think a Magellan Engineer is going to dispute the reviewers findings if they agree with what Magellan believes is information favorable to they products.

T and I use Garmins (Etrex and Etrex Legend). We have found caches within (literally) one foot of the posted coodinates. Other times, the find is no where near posted coordinates (off by 100 feet).

I have no problem with knowing what GPSR someone is using, but I don't think we can draw any concrete conclusions about the accuracy of most GPSR units.

There are alot of variables of course but it would be kinda neat to see what people use and like. I know that when i first started looking for a GPSr to use with the sport, that i looked long and hard for information. Seeing some models listed more often here would have possibly made my decision a little easier!