Shipping in the GeoStore is $$$

kyleebrock

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

It is _impossible_ with PayPal's shopping cart to charge _actual_ shipping for this item because its weighs close to three pounds, therefore it will cost between $4.75 and $8.55.

I guess I must have missed the part about you using PayPal shopping cart in your earlier post. I guess in your case I could understand why you do it your way.

I don't see a problem with adding a couple bucks to the price to make up your losses, that's how business works. If you really wanted me to buy your item, add 8.55 to your price and ship it for free. That means your item is $11.45 cheaper than anywhere else and I get free shipping as well.

In actuality, what you are doing isn't so bad, it would be bad if you were charging to little for your items and were trying to make up the difference by inflating the shipping cost.

1.UPS Ground packages are “day of delivery” guaranteed

2.UPS Ground packages are VERY trackable (see image if it posts correctly)

3.Ground is Ground this is why there are NO ground shipments to Hawaii via UPS

4.The reason some ground shipments take longer than normal time depends on location. I would say most towns have a post office, not all towns have a nearby UPS hub.

5.UPS will supply free packaging.

6.USPS priority mail is NOT guaranteed (but average time is 2-3 days)

7.Yes the holidays are coming so UPS packages will be slower, but so won’t packages from USPS.

8.USPS packages are trackable but NOT with the detail like UPS. USPS tracking will tell you when it was sent and when it was delivered (who cares at that point you already know you got it, I like knowing where it is during shipment)

9.It may depend on the size of your company but the USPS would NOT pickup or dropoff from my company, we would have to make runs to them (time/money)

10. USPS will supply free packaging.

11. my experience shows me that if you ship a large amount of packages it is so much easier with UPS because of their service, equipment and tracking ability.

12. No I do not work for UPS, in fact my father, uncle, aunt and 1 cousin all work for the USPS.

13. If you don't like the shipping costs don't buy it, or buy more items at once. You will save money buy buying a bunch of stuff and having it shipped w/ UPS compared to buying the same stuff over time and sending it through the USPS

13.Quit your *****IN and go find another cache.

Love you guys icon_biggrin.gif

80559_500.JPG

I work for an equipment company and we use FedEx and UPS. Ups is normally (slightly) cheaper and more timely.

When we tell a customer it will be there Monday, they expect it Monday(or sooner)!

My Groundspeak order was shipped for $6.oo. Went to UPS Rates and calculated it to be $6.33. That's a loss no matter how you slice it.

Ship anything less than 1 pound and you pay for a pound! Period! UPS and FedEx round it up.

Folks tell me there's no P in hamster. Oh yeah, SQUEEZE ONE!

http://www.geocities.com/sledgehampster/Sledgehampster.html

Sledgehampster,

You're using public published rates. Depending on how you've held up your account rep and how much you ship it could be 50% of the published rate that you actually pay. That $6.33 could easily be $3-$4.

I actually just went to place an order full of trinket stuff for putting in caches, he total of the order was $32. It added $14 in shipping. The largest item was a logbook. Patches, pins, etc could just as easily be put in a padded envelope and shipped USPS. I don't want to hear whines about how multiple shipping calculation is too hard to do on a website, as I deal with it every day.

Needless to say the order didn't happen because I'm NOT paying a nearly 50% surcharge for shipping. It did however make me remember this thread.

Roger

quote:
Originally posted by CCrew:

I actually just went to place an order full of trinket stuff for putting in caches, he total of the order was $32. It added $14 in shipping. The largest item was a logbook. Patches, pins, etc could just as easily be put in a padded envelope and shipped USPS. Roger

Hi CCrew,

Was UPS Ground shipping really $14 on a $32 order or did you actually select 'UPS 3-day Select' shipping? 3-Day Select is a premium service provided by UPS and starts at $14. Since working with Sunrise on this program, I have never seen a $32 order that costs $14 to ship via UPS Ground. Please let me know and I will look into it at once.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Bryan (rothstafari)

Groundspeak

Bryan,

Nope, standard Ground. I'd of expected that if I'd have chosen 3Day. Possible that a certain combination of items in the cart will trigger something strange in the shipping? I don't know if I could remember the exact quantities of what to be able to duplicate it. I've seen worse errors on websites if that's all it was. :-)

Regards,

Roger