Should I create a whole new cache report?

RAD Dad

I'm thinking about moving my cache to a new location. It will still be in the same park, but a new location in the park, would I need to create a completely new cache report, or can I just update the new co-ordinates?

What do you all think?

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I'd say create a new cache page and beyond that, leave a ziploc with the new coordinates at the old spot, at least for a few weeks. I once made the mistake of moving a cache and even posted the fact that I was going to do so several days in advance. As it turned out,several cachers had printed the page before I made the change and went to the old spot, unaware that it had been moved. Luckily I left the new coordinates at the spot and they found their way to the new site.

As another plus, people who are into adding to their cache found totals can visit the area again and add another find to their list.

How large is the park? How far did you move the cache? Is it essentially the same "challange" to find the new cache, or is there really something new to it?

If it essentially the same cache, with the same challanges, and the cacher pretty much won't do much differently to find the new cache than they did to find the old, then just change the coords.

If it is truly a new cache, in a significantly different location, I suggest one of two options: Either archive the old, and create a new cache, or else change the coords on the existing cache page, and make a note in the cache description that if a cacher chooses to find the cache again, they can log a second "find" for the cache. I've seen both done, and I've done both - on the same cache!.

25021_1200.gif

Wow, this thing has been viewed 43 times as of the writing of this response, and assuming it marks my views down each time, take four views away from that and you have 39. So that would be 39 views, and only four people voted. Perhaps I should have created a "I don't know" option.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

ok now, I just gotta know, is someone repeatedly viewing this thread? Or is this site frequented by people who are very paranoid and fearful about voicing thier opinions or even placing a vote in a simple poll?

I have been involved in other discussion groups and if you had 100 views on a poll thread, you would have nearly that many votes as well, and about half as many written replies. But here this thread has 100 views and only eleven votes and a few written replies.

Come on people...don't be afraid to vote, you won't be hunted down by alien invaders, and no black helecopters will start flying over your house. icon_wink.gif

ok now, I just gotta know, is someone repeatedly viewing this thread? Or is this site frequented by people who are very paranoid and fearful about voicing thier opinions or even placing a vote in a simple poll?

I have been involved in other discussion groups and if you had 100 views on a poll thread, you would have nearly that many votes as well, and about half as many written replies. But here this thread has 100 views and only eleven votes and a few written replies.

Come on people...don't be afraid to vote, you won't be hunted down by alien invaders, and no black helecopters will start flying over your house. icon_wink.gif

If it's the same cache, just in a new location, then just update the current listing. I think someone already mentioned htis, but if you are getting the same "visiting experience" from boh locations, then yes, just update it. But if ht new location ofers a wholly different experience, then maybe you should create a new listing...why not make a whole new cache and leave the other one? I think that may be the deciding factor...could both caches exist at once and not be redundant? If not, then it's the same cache, just in a different spot, so keep the original listing.

Hehe..I think we're thinking about this a little too hard icon_wink.gif

-pizzachef

If it's the same cache, just in a new location, then just update the current listing. I think someone already mentioned htis, but if you are getting the same "visiting experience" from boh locations, then yes, just update it. But if ht new location ofers a wholly different experience, then maybe you should create a new listing...why not make a whole new cache and leave the other one? I think that may be the deciding factor...could both caches exist at once and not be redundant? If not, then it's the same cache, just in a different spot, so keep the original listing.

Hehe..I think we're thinking about this a little too hard icon_wink.gif

-pizzachef

Let me qualify my original post. I agree with some of the other posters. If you are moving it to an entirely different part of the park, I'd say create a new page. If you moving it a couple of hundred feet, then just change the coordinates. Either way, leave a ziploc or small tupperware with the new coordinates at the old site for a few weeks, for those (like me) who print the cache page well in advance of seeking it.

I just did this. I relocated a cache because it was not in a good spot as per several log entries. I relocated it across town from the old spot. I archived the old cache and made a new cache page.

On the subject of these little polls in the forums, every time I vote in one, I'm kicked out of the forum and have to find the thread again. Is this happenning to everyone or just me?

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

I recently moved my Marshall Arts & Cache to a different hiding spot in the same park; but rather than archiving it and resubmitting a new cache page, I just updated the coordinates (and the description) on the existing page.

I also temporarily updated the name to include "(UPDATED)", and changed the 'hidden on' date so it would show up as a "New" cache (for a week). After the week was up, I changed the name and date back to the original, but left the update explanation in the cache description.

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

i noticed that some polls get a lot more voting than others so, assuming that the ppl that view know how to vote, they must either not like the choices listed, or dont care about the topic in question. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

i noticed that some polls get a lot more voting than others so, assuming that the ppl that view know how to vote, they must either not like the choices listed, or dont care about the topic in question. icon_razz.gif

i agree with web-ling, it depends on a number of things. like why are you moving it?

do you want old finders to seek the cache again?

if you do just change the coords, i think you should place a note in the online log that you moved the cache to new coords, and explaing a little bit about why. you should leave all the old logs intact. ive seen a local cacher who had a cache pludered so when they replaced they edited the coords and description, and deleted all the not founds, so if you look at the page now it looks like its been active for many months when it has been moved once, changed to a different container since it started, and there was a period in which the cache was "gone" for 6+ weeks. this made no sense to me, if your going to something similar, then just archive the cache and write a new page.

Maybe a little off topic, but close. I placed a multi-cache a while back with a series of clues to find the final location. After a few weeks, the cache disapeared. I decided to move the cache to a new location, but just projected a waypoint from the orignal cache location so that the clues would still work. The original cache has been found now. It had fallen into a dark hole that I wasn't going to stick my hand down, even if I had known the hole was there. The person who relocated the cache has put it back in its original location. So now I have two caches. The original location will not be searched, so it should remain undisturbed. What I am thinking of doing is to reinstate the original location, and then make a second cache that would require the first cache to be located in order to find the second cache, i.e. two separate caches where one is dependent on the other. Any thoughts on how should be handled in a fair way. What about the requirement that the first cache be found before locating the second. The cache has been found at both locations.

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!