Should I????

umc

The question of the day is Should I? Should I (or is it wrong) go back to a cache where I remember something I think I would like which is a handmade keychain. I have been there before and didn't pick it up but no one has been there since and its still fair game so should I go back to get it? I will leave something nice in its place but is it wrong for me to go back? Also, should I log it?

Please let me know....

migo_sig_logo.jpg

The question is not whether you should be able to return to a cache, but what you should log when you do. The answer is a 'note' and not another 'found'. By all means, go back and visit caches, do some trades and tell the story in the logs. If it is ethical to trade up or at least equally on the first go around, then why would it be wrong for the second visit?

I would say that in 236 post to this forum, have you ever heard anyone talk poorly about multiple visits? But, personally, at only 8 finds, I would find more excitement in finding #9 than returning for a dollar store item.

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

Ahhh, thats just it. Its not a dollar store item although I thought it was at first. It is a Victory Mike Special. Keychain that is, Handmade by Mike Landis. He does very nice work and I have one already but now the wife has been coveting mine and I told her that I know where there is another. So that is where my question comes from. Trust me I would definitely trade fair or up because it means that much to me but I wanted to know if it was right or wrong first. Because I agree with the find more before going back but its for a reason. Need to keep the little lady happy especially since its coming up on our first anniversary.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I say go for it!!! People revisit caches all the time to get travelbugs, so I don't see anything wrong with going back for a normal trade item. As long as you trade fair or up, and pick up any garbage you see along the way and do any other maintenance in the area.

Think Globally, Act Locally

I've been wondering this same question as well, but to me it does not seem 100% right, mainly because you allready know where the cache is.

Maybe if you brought someone else along (a potential cacher maybe) and gave no help in locating the cache?

Or, Maybe a second visit requires twice trade up, third triple etc?

Just my thoughts, I am still undecided. I'm not even sure if I like revisiting for travel bugs, but their movement would definitely slow down if there were no second visits.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Have you contacted Victory Mike and asked if he sells the keychains? That might be a less controversial way to get a matching set.

Just make sure to trade up. As you clearly know, these are prized items around Michigan (I've passed a few up myself because I didn't feel my trade items were sufficient. I passed up a Clatmandu prayer flag on my very first cache for the same reason), and you'd be removing a valuable item from play for someone else. My opinion: be patient and cache a lot. You're certain to come across more of VM's keycahins. You've already come across 2 in just 8 finds.

IMO, Travel Bugs are different. They're fun for the finder, but you're really doing something for the bug's owner. Assuming, that is, that when you saw the bug was there, you also checked the bug's goal and decided you could help it.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

I would say that in 236 post to this forum, have you ever heard anyone talk poorly about multiple visits?

Actually, I saw a complaint a few weeks ago... I forget the thread, but basically someone was saying that they thought someone shouldn't return to a cache they have already logged - just to pick up a travel bug. Kinda silly, imho - if someone is willing and able to help a bug, I sure wouldn't be one to discourage them. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

I would say that in 236 post to this forum, have you ever heard anyone talk poorly about multiple visits?

Actually, I saw a complaint a few weeks ago... I forget the thread, but basically someone was saying that they thought someone shouldn't return to a cache they have already logged - just to pick up a travel bug. Kinda silly, imho - if someone is willing and able to help a bug, I sure wouldn't be one to discourage them. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

No I haven't contacted Mike but thats not a bad idea. I have been watching that cache and it has been quiet since I was there last. Well at least thats what the webpage says, who knows who has been there since not everyone logs online.

At any rate, I trade well for the Victory Mike Special.

Thanks

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I see no problem as long as you just post a note. I was at Squantz Rock cache the other day and there was one of Ttepee's very nice totem pouches in the cache, and the stone in it was beautiful, but as I already had a totem pouch of Ttepee's, I didn't take but did email and ask if I could hae taken it. I got a quick reply saying sure, the area had been saturated with them and Ttepee doesn't keep track of who gets them. Or I could have traded the pouch I now have for the other. I won't make a special trip back there just for the pouch, but if I see another that I like I will know Ttepee's feelings on the subject. And if you find a beautiful spot on this earth are you only going to visit it once? Oh! we can't go back to Fiji, we've been there. I don't think so. And Rigour's thoughts are also very acceptable. But people getting irked because someone visits a cache twice, well that's silly. The more visits the better the maintenance of a cache. Always post a note letting the cacher know what condition the cache is in, I say.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

I've been wondering this same question as well, but to me it does not seem 100% right, mainly because you allready know where the cache is.

Going back for a specific item seems kind of odd to me. Sound like geoshopping. I'd just go find more caches and hope to find one in another. Figure out who left the item and trace their cache steps.

Going back for a Travel Bug is fine since bugs are not something we keep.

george

You know it's a steep climb when the nose of you bike seat hits you in that special spot.

...that georgeandmary just reminded me of.

Why don't you contact whoever is making the item and see if they will alert you when they place one in a cache you have not found yet?

I just did this with someone from the west coast, they were visiting Maine and they were so nice to bring their sig item, leave it in a cache I have never been too, and then let me know where they left it.

It's 150 miles away and I am going for it this weekend, so cool! The excitement of hoping no one takes it and hoping I can find the cache is killing me!

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.