GPS and 4x4ing

Pat4x4

Anybody have any caches in california that a 4x4 is a must have.... I am new to this but not to 4x4ing.. I would like to make a few caches that intail true 4x4 fun as well as gps fun... Of coarse always tread lightly!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about making a group or catagory just for more extreme caches??? icon_biggrin.gif

Yes! I say pour it on it!! I'm a 4x4'er myself and thought of including one as part of the fun. Hey, this type of thing is welcome to all types-- young and old, regardless of the situation.. But mind you, keep it safe! Glad you beat me to this one, for I live in a mountain area and love the terrain and challenges it brings. Don't forget to leave information on the descrip....4x4 only. You know, you don't want a family taking their Caprice Classic down in God's Country (you know where I'm coming from). I'd take my wife's car anyway, regardless, just to say I did icon_razz.gif

thats the whole thing.. it would be neat to see catagories for the kinds of geoserch you would like to do... And when I say 4 x4 I mean 4x4!!!! "not you might need 4 wheel drive" but more like " don't even atempt with out a very set up rig and skill" I know of a bunch of people like me that are interested in something like this.. www.pirate4x4.com is how I have most of these people

I would definately be down for that!!! There are a lot of trails in northern CA that are just begging for geocaches. Rubicon, deer valley etc.

As for the pirates of the rubicon, those guy's rigs are SICK!!! I saw a group of them playing around on Iron Mountain road in the snow last winter. Those rigs just DO NOT get stuck. To get in to their club supposedly you need to run the little sluice blindfolded. Christ, i had a hard time winching my way through it.

Caches on trails would just be a huge bonus, esp. if you're on some weak run where you have to wait an hour at some obstacle waiting for some flatlander with open diffs to get through it.

KURTULEAS

Well, that's not true. I'm going to place a cache in an offroad park soon. But any 4X4 trail can be mountain biked or hiked.

I road the slickrock trial near Lake Alpine 2 weeks ago. I saw a dozen or so 4X4 out deep into the woods but I just passed them by on the bike. You can cover 20-30 miles on the bike without much trouble. In the mix of all those jeeps and broncos, some guy was driving a suzuki samuria. Our jaws kind of dropped watching this guy drive down this granite slab. We kept waiting for that thing to flip over and start rolling down the side of the mountian.. but he made it.

4x4 accessible caches would be cool, there are already a few out there. But you'd probablly get a few mountian bikers out there too.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

no splitting hairs here!!!!!!!I never meant ONLY!!!! 4x4's but a section in this board that is mainly targetting 4x4 geoserches.. I go to the rubicon atleast 7 to 10 times a year it would be a graet place for caches... as well as fordyce, moab, barret lake, dusy, and so on.... And beleive it or not I see bunches of crazies on bike on the con!!!!!! even with all the rocks.... They are nuts icon_biggrin.gif

Just moved back to AZ from SoCal or I'd join you too. Although I know there is at least one geocache over in Truckhaven that was put there during the hude annual TDS Desert Safari (1200+ 4x4 vehicles attend). Anyway, check out the "Southwest" forum here. There were a few SoCal people looking for 4x4 geocaching buddies over there.

BTW, you can find info on the TDS Desert Safari here: http://www.tds4x4.com

It's the first weekend in March every year. We'll be there.

-----------

Bill

Jeeps Only!

http://www.jeepsonly.com

------------------------

There are a few caches here in Nevada where 4x4 is very helpful. I went to one a couple weeks ago. I may try some more difficult trails once I get some nerf bars. icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

When writing the cache description for a cache, you could include the phrase: Serious 4x4. Then people could type that phrase in the search page to find some of these type of caches.

This cache looks like it would be a good example.

[This message was edited by TopDeadCenter on September 16, 2002 at 09:04 PM.]

I heartily agree on making changes to the forum database so it recognizes and stores 4x4 caches. If you do it for 4x4, then adding other special interest cache types such as backpacking, extended hike, bicycle, motorbike, boat, etc. should be easy to include as their own types. I see this request as another indication that geocaching is becoming an integral part of other hobbies and interests. Might as well embrace these trends, and incorporate them in the forum's capabilities. Doing so will certainly lend to the growth of geocaching generally. It not only introduces geocachers to new uses for their GPSr but also introduces other hobbyists to incorporating GPSr in their activities. Isn't this what they call win/win?

Out here in the sierras, we only really have a couple more months, if that, to place caches on most of the hairy trails because of snow. I have read a few caches that were placed up high in tupperware!!! That's crazy! I don't think they will last over the winter after being buried under 15ft + of snow. Ammo cans would be the best bet.

I am thinking about caching by SNOWMOBILE!!! Is it Kosher to hide a cache 12' to 15' up in a tree for caching on your sled? The tower trail cache in El Dorado county CA is in a paint can that is supposedly high enough for when it snows, but I've been up there on a sled and I am SURE it would be buried too deep.

BTW, I would not recommend nerf bars on your rig, they just get in the way. The more clearance the better.

KURTULEAS

Out here in the sierras, we only really have a couple more months, if that, to place caches on most of the hairy trails because of snow. I have read a few caches that were placed up high in tupperware!!! That's crazy! I don't think they will last over the winter after being buried under 15ft + of snow. Ammo cans would be the best bet.

I am thinking about caching by SNOWMOBILE!!! Is it Kosher to hide a cache 12' to 15' up in a tree for caching on your sled? The tower trail cache in El Dorado county CA is in a paint can that is supposedly high enough for when it snows, but I've been up there on a sled and I am SURE it would be buried too deep.

BTW, I would not recommend nerf bars on your rig, they just get in the way. The more clearance the better.

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

Would that off-road park be carnigie?? (or however you spell it) I know you have one in there already george.....

As for Biking a 4x4 trail, on lots of them I could see you doing it, but not the Rubicon. There's WAY too many rocks. It would be easier just to hike in.

KURTULEAS

Up in Del Puerto Canyon there is an offroad park near Frank Reins. I don't know the exact name but you can drive a truck back in there. The Carnigie Cache is not very deep into the park. You can walk right up to that one.

As for mountain biking the rubicon... I've never done it, but I know someone who did, years ago, from what I remember that did a lot of pushing going up, but you'd be amazed at what a bike can go down. Amazed. 4-5 inches of suspension travel (front and rear) is pretty standard with 6-7 not uncommon. Full on downhill bikes have 10-12 inches of travel front and rear, not that I would take a downhill bike caching.

I've only seen pictures of short sections of the trail, so I have no idea, overall, of how much is ridable and how much is not. Non riders tend to underestimate what is bikable.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

In southern Brazil the caches I've placed can all be accessed by car but some would require a 4X4 after rain. This weekend we left one and then had to face flooded rivers to get out of the area (unless we wanted to back-track about 200 miles!!).

I think it's a great incentive for both hobbies and am now considering the Degree Confluence Project (www.confluence.org) as another tie-in.

cheers

David

Porto Alegre, Brazil

Toyota Bandeirante OJ50LV '89

Hey there CrackerM7 if you want to see how the boys with the TOYS do it out here in Cali, check out:

www.mountainhightoys.com

Those guys have ratios of like a GAZILLION to 1 with thier super-low t-cases. Once we had to pull over to let one of thier rigs come back up a trail, the guy got OUT of his rig WHILE it was running. He pulled a beer out of a cooler from the bed of the truck and talked with me for 4-5 minutes as his rig just inched down the trail. My baby boy can crawl faster than his rig. With those low gear ratios they can climb trees.

Just think, you could spend time searching for a geocache while your rig drives itself down the trail

KURTULEASjohn8jpg.jpg

Quite impressive. My rover can't quite do that. Although it can carry 4 people and lots of gear in air conditioned comfort. icon_cool.gif Second thought, it could do that, I would just have to but it back together afterwards icon_redface.gif I'm not sure how to paste a photo into a post, but here is a link to my rover(and my roommates).

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sethachilles/lst?.dir=/Random+photos&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

Not a lot of rock crawling in New England, but we have our fair share of rough terrain and mud.

AchStone

Please note that, that picture is a JEEP climbing OVER a toy. icon_wink.gif

I am currently selling my rig, because I just ordered the new jeep Rubicon. (I have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get it). I was ABOUT to buy a new Toyota- all the space in the bed can hold a lot more camping gear than my jeep, but I couldn't pass on the rubicon becuase it's all set up for crawling STOCK for about the same price.

KURTULEAS

that flatfender you see driving on the exo caged toyota is a guy name sam.. he is a sierra rockcrawler member they have a neat club too.. I went to the calrocs comp at lake amador last year and he rolled that thing like 4 times during the comp... lots oh fun... I have been on the pirate board since it started about 5 years ago when there were like 5 members.. Check out the pirate board.. lots of extreme wheeling... just watch out for all the Punk kids...icon_biggrin.gif

Iv'e got a cache which I've designated as 4x4 (in the title for searchabliltiy) required, but certainly anyone on foot, horseback or bike could reach it.

It's along the McGrew Trail which dips into northern CA, so if you're nearby, go for it. So far, it's unfound due to the Biscuit fire, but should be accessible later this fall.

Note:the cache is located such that the fire should have had no effect on the container or it's contents.

-

quote:
, but I couldn't pass on the rubicon becuase it's all set up for crawling STOCK for about the same price.

KURTULEAS

Minus the lift, springs, shocks, steering box, and tires. icon_biggrin.gif The Jeep Rubicon definitely adds a few things over the stock jeep, but "all set for crawling".....mmmmm...I dunno about all that. Nice stock rig though.

On my current rig the lift, wheels and swampers were the first upgrades to it, those are cake to put on, and the first thing I am gonna do when I get my new rig. (the 1st thing most people do)

The hard part is taking a stock wrangler and putting on Dana 44's, 4.56 gears and a 4-1 T-case. Not only is that a ton of money, but I am so SICK of wrenching on my truck that it will be a nice change to have all that already done for me, under warrenty no less. Now a new steering box, that's gonna have to wait.

I agree the rig is not COMPLETLY set up for anything hardcore, but it's one hell of a start.

KURTULEAS

locked? Or is there an option for a locker?

I briefly considered one when they were first announced, but I'm really not a fan of DC quality these days. I finally unloaded a YJ not too long ago and now all my 4x4s sadly are IFS for the time being. DC just can't build parts that last (just my humble opinion, of course). So...it's Xterras and 4 runners for me (with loads of suspension work to keep those tie rods from snapping) for now until I find another TJ or YJ that I feel like working on.

the rubicon is the option for the jeep wrangler.. It has duel air lockers, 4.0 transfercase gear set.. 31 mtr's and a few other goodies.. I was up on the rubicon this summer when chrysler was bringing all the new factory jeeps through with all the foeriners driving them.. out of the 21 wranglers 12 of them were rubicons.. needless to say they had a much easier time then the others.. In stock form though they sure tear them things up going over the rubicon.. they need a few inches of lift and some bigger tires...icon_biggrin.gif

It hasn't taken me long to figure out that in my area you need a 4X4 to access some of the caches, so yes I am selling my car and looking for a 4X4. At this point since I don't own a 4X4 I would surely appreciate it if the person that hides the cache points out that you need a 4X4 to get to the cache. I visited 1 cache that was rated as a 1 1. It turned out that I had to climb 1700 feet to get to it. It may have been a 1 1 for a 4X4 but for my 55 year old legs it was a 4 1, and that only because I didn't needs special gear to get to it.

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!