Have you seen these???

There appears to be some sort of parasitic infestation in the forests, parks and other natural areas around here that was in epidemic proportions this weekend. A rather strange creature. Seems to be attracted to light and/or fires after dark and clusters around open bodies of water during the daylight hours.

It seems to be an extremely sedentary creature. More often that not, when you see them, they are moving VERY slowly if at all. During the day they seem to want to rest on the banks of rivers or lakes (often, but not always, clutching some sort of stick). During the evening they seem to position themselves close to open fires but rather than continue to circle it like most insects (or a geocacher closing in on a cache) would, this creature just positions itself near the flame and then continues to rest.

Interesting side note... they only appear to infest the natural areas for two or three days at a time (usually on weekends)... resting all the while... and yet, at the end of this short period they seem to appear rather exhausted. (Go figure!)

They appear almost human. I know they can't be geocachers because I've never seen a geocacher rest that much at a time... and these creatures seem to (on average) leave considerably more litter than they remove... obviously not a geocacher trait.

If anyone can help me understand this odd creature... or has seen it infesting other locations... I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Oh... and while it may be interesting to study these creatures... I'd recommend you try to avoid it when it's migrating... It doesn't seem to move much faster while migrating than it does when clustered around a flame.

Gawd, they were everywhere this weekend!!!!!

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

I spotted quite a few of them on a lake in Georgia riding in little metal shells which were propelled by snarling beavers!

They appear to be thirsty creatures, but not very sensible. Rather than drinking the clear water of the lake, they had little cylindrical devices they drank from instead!

Upon inspection of one of the cylinders (they are not very tidy) I was able to determine that their favorite thirst quencher is some kinds for fermented grain! Yuch!

As I made a hasty retreat, I heard what I think was a mating call. While I'm sure that they were just growling, I could have swore I heard the words, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" Or something to that effect.

I'm still shaking from the encounter!

I discovered a nesting ground of the semi adult this weekend. It seems that their young almost immediatly upon learning to navigate in metal skins congregate in semi remote areas and practice the skills they will need when they are old enough to range farther. They are even worse at hauling out more than they haul in. They are even willing to go underground to gather round a fire to avoid detection. In the process their stench overpowers the surrounding natural fragrance of the land. If the young are the future of the species, the entire species is in trouble.