How do you find places to leave a cache?

One of the things I love about geocaching is it brings me to places I would never have gone to.

I would like to place my first cache this spring...but I don't know how to go about finding a place.

What sources do you use (websites, maps...) to find trails or parks with trails....? I just don't know any trails around here. Guess I've been inside too long! LOL

Every now and then, you just point the car and go. One of my better caches was on a whim. I hated the original idea I had in mind when I saw it again so I scouted around and found a better spot nearby. It's gotten good comments. Turns out it's one of those spots thats cool but nobody ever bothered to stop there.

My other bested cache was a location that I had visited many years before. It amazed me that nobody had put a cache there so I went and stuck one there myself. Turns out I wasn't the first with the idea, but I was the first to get a cache in place.

Some of those areas you did know about but never went too, or heard about and thought it would be interesting, or saw on a map and just wondered about are good spots.

There is a cache peak in Idaho that has me wonderin.

Wherever you go there you are.

Be careful where you place your cache. If you place your cache in an area where you can either go through public land or private property, make sure you note that there is a way to get to it that is on public land. Another thing is your location. I see a lot of caches that are being undermined by the great construction gods that continually dig up public lands. It sucks to have to go and relocate a good cache. I placed one in a rock wall nearby where I live and its fun to watch people looking for it. " A good place to hide a cache can sometimes turn into a bad bad place."

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I work in the burbs and drive to (what passes for) the city every day. Occasionally, I'll roll the window down and shove a cache out. Mark the waypoint and post it on the site.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

That's great! I love Caches I can get by just driving on the side of the road, opening the door, reaching down and throwing it back out the window for the next guy!

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif

I'm out mountainbiking each weekend anyway. I go places where most people won't (unless there is a cache there). Over the years of searching out new and interesting places to ride I've found many trails and backwoods areas that don't get visited by many others.

Othertimes you just stumble upon these places. Keep your eyes open.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.